Align X-access power feed installation problam

Just for fun

Tim Young
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Installing the Align power feeds on my mill. On the X feed the bearing race itself is too short, they shipped a spacer along in the kit. With the spacer and the bearing race it is too long.

I have watched a YouTube from Clough42 and he made a spacer to move the motor drive out. I take it not everyone has had that problem, there doesn't seem to be a lot of info on the problem. I'm thinking of turning the spacer down, just wondering what others have done to rectify the problem?

Tim

20220325_163817_copy_2016x1134.jpg

20220325_163847_copy_2016x1134.jpg

My experience with several of these installations on X and Z axis is you have to do what you have to do. The directions are laughable, especially regarding shimming the gear meshing. Misaligned holes are possible. Simply turning down a spacer, well, you‘ll be getting off comparatively easy.

I did what clough42 did. Worked well

I also made a spacer 1mm aluminum, plasma cut. Fitted up just fine after that. Gotta do what you gotta do!
X spacer.jpg

Well, my plan worked pretty darn well. My first attempt I turned the shaft/arbor down just a little far. So rather then cut it off I just turned another spot. Hind sight I should of cut it off, but it worked. I used some loctite to hold the bushing to the shaft and turned it down .038 . Sense in still having a hard time hitting my number I was a nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs. LOL

But all said and done it worked. I forgot to get photos as I was working, but here is the shaft. You can see where I had the bushing on the shaft.

20220327_200412_copy_2016x1134.jpg

Back