Albrecht Chuck not Gripping Tight

rogerl

Registered
Registered
I bought a 0-3/8" Albrecht chuck used. The chuck looks to be in very good condition and has very good runout. The problem is it does not grip very tight. I was using it to tap some #10-32 holes and the tap was slipping in the chuck. I tried lubing the chuck but it did not help. Is there something that I can do to get the chuck to grip tighter? Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks
Roger L

These folks are the subject matter experts. Directions for disassembly, overhaul and reassembly are in here. I remember seeing that the chuck does NOT need lube in it's workings, as that compromises the grip.

In my experience, three jaw chucks aren't very good at gripping hardened shafts. I haven't used a three jaw chuck, keyed or keyless, for tapping in decades.

In my experience, three jaw chucks aren't very good at gripping hardened shafts. I haven't used a three jaw chuck, keyed or keyless, for tapping in decades.

Oh so true. A proper tap handle is the best option.

Generally keyless chucks are even worse for gripping taps than a keyed chuck. It's not the Albrecht's fault, it's the keyless design & jaw softness. Albrecht does make a chuck with "diamond jaws" for use with carbide & hardened shanks. But it still may possibly not work for driving taps as one might expect.

As said, lube/oil for keyless chucks in the wrong area can cause more problems than good. Pretty much anywhere you apply oil to the chuck externally is not beneficial.

I bought a 0-3/8" Albrecht chuck used. The chuck looks to be in very good condition and has very good runout. The problem is it does not grip very tight. I was using it to tap some #10-32 holes and the tap was slipping in the chuck. I tried lubing the chuck but it did not help. Is there something that I can do to get the chuck to grip tighter? Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks
Roger L
you don't lube an albrecht chuck. No oil ..

Westerner, thanks for the information about the chucks. I will go to the web page and see what I can find.

It looks like I have been using the wrong tool for decades to hold a tap in a milling machine. What proper tool should I be using to hold a tap in my mill?

Thanks
Roger L

Back