Albrecht Chuck Knurling?

Speaking of bluing, the chuck I posted in this thread has an almost chrome finish to it. I have another Albrecht like that too but the rest of them have the bluing or black oxide finish. I thought they all had black oxide? Or were there different years for different finishes?

Speaking of bluing, the chuck I posted in this thread has an almost chrome finish to it. I have another Albrecht like that too but the rest of them have the bluing or black oxide finish. I thought they all had black oxide? Or were there different years for different finishes?
All the ones I have seen are black or polished. I used the word "blueing" to cover all types of oxide finishes. You could use whatever process you have on hand or think is best for you to apply.

Guess I'm an odd ball.... i bought a new one years ago and tried it for a few week and put it back in the box and I just love a good keyed chuck...

The chuck pictured has some mileage on it that's why it looks the way it does. A chuck get hands put on it a lot. Which over the years wears off the finish and polishes also. Also depending if it's been cleaned with certain cleaners it will take the bluing off. I personally wouldn't mind on the knurling as long as it works as they do. Good haul.

I have an old account with MSC that gives me better prices. I think you have to sign up with their program. One stop shop

I found some on eBay for $79 with free shipping. Guess where they came from? That's right... MSC. :)

I like the black oxide finishes. I hope to start experimenting soon with it but got a couple irons in the fire at the moment. Also have looked at Cerakote (for the outside of the chuck only obviously).https://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/
Cerokote is really cool. I've had to deal with it on some parts I repaired. Parts were brass & copper tubes.
Knockered the heck out a 3/16" HSS End Mill.
But it is tough. Had to sand it off of a couple, started at 440 and finally gave that futile attempt up and attacked it with 150/220 & WD40 to get it to break.

Guess I'm an odd ball.... i bought a new one years ago and tried it for a few week and put it back in the box and I just love a good keyed chuck...
Toss it on the classifieds here, offset holiday expenses. There is a law in most states about letting fine tooling sit idle. :grin:

Back
Top Bottom