Air Foot Switch for Oil Mister.

Scruffer

Registered
Registered
I just bought an oil mister for my Mill. I have an air regulator (old and used). I have an air operated foot switch for my sandblaster cabinet that I am thinking about using to control the mister. The air switch will probably work better on the supply air side than on the low side of the regulator. I just don't know if the constant switching 150 psi air on and off is going to kill the regulator. I temp hook it up and using dark cutting oil and it's working ok. Not sure about long term. Controlling the oil mister with a foot pedal seems like a good idea to me. Any thoughts.

I like the idea, think i will try that too. Did you make your own mister?

I use a foot switch on supply side my mist coolers, and it works great.

You could wire in a pilot valve.
Supply the desired air pressure to the pilot valve and let the pilot valve do the work, but that would require an electric/pneumatic switch to be added

319172&utm_content=all%20products

And

Last edited:
I like the idea, think i will try that too. Did you make your own mister?
I purchased the mister through Amazon. It was $19. Had good reviews (time will tell). The unit's push to connect air fitting is listed for 8mm tubing. However 5/16" OD tubing worked fine. For now I am going to use the Oatey dark cutting oil. It's ISO 68 viscosity.

I set up a mist system on the mill using a water filter housing as the reservoir. I used a pilot valve as recommended above, but you need one that exhausts the pressure from the reservoir or it will continue feeding oil after stopping the air. Set it up with a foot switch as well as a continuous on switch. Thought I'd use the foot switch to lubricate and blast away cuttings as needed, but never use the feature. I turn it on with the on/off switch and let it blow for the entire operation. Your habits might be different.

Greg

I set up a mist system on the mill using a water filter housing as the reservoir. I used a pilot valve as recommended above, but you need one that exhausts the pressure from the reservoir or it will continue feeding oil after stopping the air. Set it up with a foot switch as well as a continuous on switch. Thought I'd use the foot switch to lubricate and blast away cuttings as needed, but never use the feature. I turn it on with the on/off switch and let it blow for the entire operation. Your habits might be different.

Greg
I am trying to wrap my head on your set up, especially with the foot switch. The reason I ask is because don't you get some oil back feeding through the exhaust port on your pilot valve when switching off electrically as the reservoir is depressurizing. I am thinking that the viscosity of the oil you're using has a lot to do with it. Since I am using the Oatey Dark Cutting Oil, I am having to use higher air pressure to pull from the bottle.

Im using kerosine for machining aluminum. No oil comes back, just bleeding the air head off the reservoir.

Greg

Back