Air Compressor Recommendations

A large portion of compressor noise is from the intake port. An oil bath intake filter can significantly reduce compressor noise. I have a 2 HP 220 unit that is exceptionally quiet with such a filter.
Tell us more Harry. Did your unit come with it or is it a retrofit?

I should have been more specific in my needs. The air tools I run are mostly minis, using about 1.5-2 CFM. I currently have a 4 gal Dewalt oilless, 5 CFM, and I can run my little grinders on that just fine. For larger grinding operations (cleaning up welds, removing rust, etc.) I use my electric 4" angle grinders. The problem with the Dewalt unit is the cycle time is very frequent and it is loud as hell.

I am definitely leaning towards an oiled compressor. I also like the idea of putting a filter on the intake. Thank you for that information.

I am also planning on building a little sound box around the head, leaving plenty of room for air flow.

Thank you all for your help with this. I will look into the CA Air tools and Rollair compressors.

Tom

Tell us more Harry. Did your unit come with it or is it a retrofit?

The filter came with. Some industrial gasoline engines had oil bath intake filters. Some Wisconsin Air cooled engines used them. Certain of the original versions are now being produced again. A little Google action would probably produce a source.

So, after posting this I casually searched the interweb & found scads of them. Some units that were used on car engines and tractors decades ago also had silencers. They are commercially available. One suggestion for use on air compressors is to pipe the filter away from the compressor. That would let you mount the pump & tank remotely & have the filter inside to be nicer to the neighbors. Locating the filter inside would make changing the oil more pleasant in the winter months.

Last edited:
Another thing to consider is the temp range of the compressor. You may not be able to use it in the winter if its located outside.
For example, here's the relevant section from the owner's manual for my Ingersol Rand TS4L -
upload_2015-10-22_9-2-17.png
regards,
Leon

Leon,

Thanks for the information. I did not consider temperatures. The low temp really isn't a problem, as we rarely freeze in Austin. However, the high temp could be a problem in the summer. Hmmm.

Cheers,
Tom

That's a lot of money for an Chinese oilless compressor, I've owned a few and they are all in the trash now. One of the things thats probably driving up the piece is the fancy air dryer attached to it, from what you described your needs as, I don't think you need it. Those dryers are for spraying paint or dental/medical air. For common air tools regular air/water separators will be fine.
Consider good belt driven compressor like this one: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200612355_200612355

Check youtube videos of California Air compressors, they are made in China but are very quiet and would probably meet your needs without having to store it outside. My cordless drill battery charger makes more noise than the air compressor on the left.

Coolidge, do you have a CA Air Tools compressor? I like the 70db rating, but all others seem to say run away.

Back