Air compressor question ?

Perhaps I was unclear. I was discussing a somewhat sensible design, not a tap above water line. What if there was a small internal tube connecting from that tap point to the bottom, like a petrol pick up in a fuel tank? For all we know there's a "fuel sock" on the end of the pick up, which would tend to minimize the drain from clogging.
Yes - that was the possibility I mentioned in post #34. I called it the "charitable" view. I think the odds are that Ryobi did not fit a bottom collector, but you never know. There may be a way to deduce this. Perhaps if @Suzuki4evr let us know what happens when he opens the tap, with maybe only a little pressure remaining. If Michael has never ever seen much water come out, ever, he can reasonably think that this arrangement does not work.

Maybe, if he propped the compressor over a bit, opened the tap, and got sprayed with stale smelly old water, he would know.
[ DON'T DO THIS AT FULL PRESSURE !! ]. Nearly all air released will do.

Michael and others watching,
I googled his compressor and other brands that showed the drain valve was not on the very bottom of their tanks. "who would even think" ---I found that their instructions said you needed to "tilt" the tanks so the drain was at the lowest position to remove all the water. Good thing your tank isn't 60 or 80 gallon. they also said to completely drain all the pressure from the tank each time before opening the drain valve, and do this every end of day.
wow! ---I couldn't believe all the tanks now that the drain valve isn't on the very bottom. Graham is very sensible in checking where the valve is located before buying a new compressor. I don't need a new compressor, but you can be sure that I would not buy one if the drain valve plug wasn't in the lowest position. I guess it confirms all our opinions that designers do not care or know about basic principles that need to be incorporated in products they sell.
Dave

Michael and others watching,
I googled his compressor and other brands that showed the drain valve was not on the very bottom of their tanks. "who would even think" ---I found that their instructions said you needed to "tilt" the tanks so the drain was at the lowest position to remove all the water. Good thing your tank isn't 60 or 80 gallon. they also said to completely drain all the pressure from the tank each time before opening the drain valve, and do this every end of day.
wow! ---I couldn't believe all the tanks now that the drain valve isn't on the very bottom. Graham is very sensible in checking where the valve is located before buying a new compressor. I don't need a new compressor, but you can be sure that I would not buy one if the drain valve plug wasn't in the lowest position. I guess it confirms all our opinions that designers do not care or know about basic principles that need to be incorporated in products they sell.
Dave
This makes me sad. When the designers don't care, then it's time to patronize a different brand. Just refuse to buy this junk. Thanks for alerting us. For not much money they could have put in a pick up in the tank, but they chose to build in an inherent safety liability. What a bunch of hooey to tilt the tank.

If I was stuck with such a tank I'd make a weighted hose go through the fitting hole, such that the hose would drop to the tank bottom. Rocking the compressor and tank is not what I'd want to do regularly. Seems like a defective design.

If Michael has never ever seen much water come out, ever, he can reasonably think that this arrangement does not work.
Some water actualy does come out
I found that their instructions said you needed to "tilt" the tanks so the drain was at the lowest position to remove all the water. Good thing your tank isn't 60 or 80 gallon
There is nothing in the operation manual that states that the tank must be tilted,wich is the only thing that makes sense,and wich I have also done,but it is absolutely stupid if you ask me. I must admit that this is actually starting to pi$$ me off because the stupid design is now causing me unnecessary work.

There is nothing in the operation manual that states that the tank must be tilted,wich is the only thing that makes sense,and wich I have also done,but it is absolutely stupid if you ask me. I must admit that this is actually starting to pi$$ me off because the stupid design is now causing me unnecessary work.
If the water truly is removed from the tank then it's ok, and no need to be mad. But if water remains in the tank with this arrangement, I would try to make something to be able to regularly remove it. The only way to know if it works is to test it.

Some water actually does come out
That kind of suggests that what water does come out is whatever is above the level of the outlet, and there is a whole lower segment of the cylinder with water that has become a "permanent feature". Try tipping it up a but, and then let go, and see if you can tell there is a gallon or two sloshing about. Maybe get the tap open, and tilt it sideways, to find out if there was a whole lot more to come.

I getcha! ---it's ridiculous and lousy--some other makes are the same--makes you wonder if they want the tanks to fail quicker so sales demands are increased

Gee, all this talk of tanks and water reminded me to go check mine. Got 200ml out of mine just now. Have a 60 gallon tank, powered by a Quincy compressor. A while back I replaced a brass blowoff valve with a stainless steel one rated at 600 psi.

Since then the amount of water I'm getting has significantly dropped. It seems that the brass blowoff valve was leaking, which caused more tank fills and more water in the tank. I remember listening to the brass valve and couldn't hear the leak, but it was leaking just the same. One day when blowing off the brass valve, it wouldn't seal at all. That's when I replaced it and found out about the slow leak.

That kind of suggests that what water does come out is whatever is above the level of the outlet, and there is a whole lower segment of the cylinder with water that has become a "permanent feature". Try tipping it up a but, and then let go, and see if you can tell there is a gallon or two sloshing about. Maybe get the tap open, and tilt it sideways, to find out if there was a whole lot more to come.
Although I bought this unit about November last year,it has not work much,about 20 to 30 cycles and that is over calculating I think. I use it only for my pneumatic hydraulic press,so there is NO way so much water could have accumulated in the tank and I would never let it get that bad. I use my old unit on my airline. Besides I did tilt it before because of this offset drain and I did it before I joined this conversation.

What I think I will do is to NOT drain it for while and then drain to check if it is sufficient and then tilt to see if any more comes out.

Back