Air Compressor Help

Chip Monkey

Registered
Registered
Folks,

My 25 year old, oil less craftsman compressor just spread metal frags on the floor around it. Haven't pulled the cover yet, but it's already been rebuilt many times and I'm tired of the 100 dB din. Time for a new one.

Looking for a 60 gal vertical w/at least 10 cfm @ 90 psi, 230 single phase. I know lower end compressors are somewhat generic, but I haven't found a brand with a consensus of being a good machine let alone severe criticism of long standing brands.

If anyone has thoughts about what brands/specific models I might consider I love to here them!

Thank you all in advance. As you might guess, without a compressor I'm at DefCon 5!

Have you looked at Campbell Hausfield?

They offer a 60 Gal Vertical, 10.2 CFM, 90PSI compressor model VT6195

That said, what do you use the compressor for? Could this be an opportunity to uprate to a higher CFM machine?

As for oil-less, I have seen and heard plenty about them, but personally I still prefer an oil bath machine and running a separator between head-output and tank.

Might look at the used market, otherwise the Quincy QT-45 seems to get consistent good reviews and should have a fast recovery. I have the Champion HR5-8 that I bought quite a few year ago, I previously had a Curtis which was also built like a tank. . Both were well made and not to to loud. Most of the big box store compressors are made in China at a price point, but still should last 1000's of hours. Having an interstage cooler and after cooler will drop a lot of the moisture out of the air.

I bought a Quincy Q13160VQ about a year ago and am happy with it. Yes, it is the 'more Chinese content' compression at the low end of Quincy compressors, and is 3.5H rather than 5.0H of the QT-54, but was about $700 less. A lot quieter than my old pancake compressor. It shows no signs of wearing out soon. Takes a couple minutes to fill the 60-gal tank. I purchased from air compressors direct, and had no problem with them. The truck line that delivered managed to tip it over even with liftgate and break off part of the plastic belt guard, but no damage to the compressor itself.

Thanks guys. I'll explore the suggestions.

Any reason not to use Air Compressors Direct if I go with the Quincy?

The new QT line from Quincy isn't the same quality as the older QT line, which is what formed the reputation. There are a lot of reports of quality control problems to the point I don't think it makes sense to spend the extra money on one over the more common options out there. The Quincy QR line is still absolutely fantastic, but expensive and hard to find a vendor selling them. When you look at a QR the pump is probably twice as big as a QT.

If you can swing it, a Saylor-Beall is made in the U.S. (here in Michigan) and a wonderful company to deal with. When I got my first SB I called them up with the data info and they e-mailed me a .pdf of the user manual and parts manual for it while we were still talking. A buddy at work bought an SB that was run so hot the paint melted off it...got all the parts for a rebuild at very reasonable prices and talked with their tech folks a couple of times as he worked through it. I upgraded to a newer SB, VT-735 series, 80gallon, 5hp with the performance package (after cooler, automatic drain, etc) and I love, love, love it...surprisingly quiet and super fast fill time.

I'm in the market too. I am worried about my tank. Been searching for used, but afraid that people don't drain their tanks.
So I'm looking for new too. For me a 60 gal would also do, I don't want to lug an 80 gal down the stairs, even though I have ramps.

I bought a Quincy QT-5 with all the extras a few years ago and have been super happy with it. The noise is so much quieter than anything else in that HP range I've encountered in the wild. It keeps up with my blast cabinet and plasma quite easily. The quality is impressive compared to any import. I think they've changed a little bit, but I am sure this compressor will outlast me- and I'm still almost 20 years on the wrong side of retirement.

I recently bought an 80 gallon unit, Black Diamond BDV 5048055 2 stage on sale for $1400
17.0 CFM @ 175psi. basically the same unit as the Dewalt DXCMV 5048055 @ $2600 but the BD has a longer warranty than the Dewalt. Also have a 35 year old IR 5 HP 60 gallon but it is using a little oil. IR has been somewhat spotty on the reviews lately. I almost bought the Quincy QT -54 but during the time I was looking it had a Chinese motor, not a Baldor on the in stock ones at the same store. The BD had a 24 amp Century.

About a week after buying the BD a new shipment of the Quincy QT-54's came in and they all had Baldor motors again.
In the affordable 60 gallon class, I would look at the QT-54 they have a 50000 hour pump and are rated for continuous duty as well, but I would make sure it has a Baldor motor.
ps. very happy with the BD it turns the pump at a slow 900 RPM and fills from 0-175 psi in 6 1/2 minutes. With the synthetic oil kit has a four year warranty,

Last edited:
When I had my repair shop I found Quency, Rol-Air, and Curtis compressors to be nearly bulletproof. Just a suggestion use your existing tank purchase a compressor and motor then build your compressor. Caution, use synthetic oil and DO NOT overspeed the compressor.

Back