after a 2 year search i found the one

777mechanic

Active User
Registered
bought my first bridgeport with a proto-trak , the head was rebuilt before i bought . the only problem is he used some sort of gooey cutting oil that all over the machine and it's a real bear to remove , so here's so pics . and if you have any sugestion on how to remove i'm all ears .

IMG_0370.jpg IMG_0371.jpg IMG_0372.jpg IMG_0373.jpg IMG_0374.jpg IMG_0375.jpg

Looks pretty nice! Very capable machine. How are the ways? pretty like the machine in general? Chrome maybe?

Nice looking mill and it doesn't look that dirty. You could get some of the purple cleaner it is strong and if you leave it on to long it will eat the paint.

I use Kerosene and a soft brush it should cut that stuff off.

Paul

You should be able to find it in WalMart,

its a 84 model with chrome ways and still has scaping marks on ways . machine came from a small garage shop . today i used simple green , it worked slowly if i let it sit and soak for hours for hours .

I bought a lathe that had dried cutting fluid everywhere. I used Krud Kutter I bought at Home Depot. It still took alot of scrubbing but it really cut through the grimey stuff. Looks like a very nice mill.

I had good luck with mineral spirits on my lathe. I just put rags & old newspaper down on the floor and went to work with a parts cleaning brush.

i have found carb cleaner to be excellent. Even dissolves cosmoline like butter.

Back