Advice on choosing a benchtop lathe

Here is a review of the different 618's that were made. http://www.lathes.co.uk/craftsman6inchmk1/ This should help with your decision. Whether $900 is a fair price all depends on what comes with the lathe. Chucks, steady and follower rest, dead and live centers, the type of bearings, change gears, etc. What kind of tool post is included?

And the biggest question of all is a 618 big enough to make what you want to make with a lathe. You need to answer this question.

Ok, decision time. I've found an older Atlas 618 in great condition with an upgraded tool post for $900.
Or, I up the $$ and buy a Grizzly G9972Z 11" x 26" Bench Lathe with Gearbox for about $2400 delivered.
An Atlas 618 was my first lathe and I made many nice things with it. Mine was well used when I bought it from a retired machinist. The flat ways were worn, the back gear shaft was badly worn and the pulley system in the headstock was loose on the spindle. Check that the release pin works as it should to disengage the spindle for the back gear. The 6" swing was what made me move on. Make sure the motor is the correct R.P.M. Check everything before pulling the trigger. I learned a lot from that little lathe and luckily was still able to buy parts for it at that time. Remember that you can only run the spindle in the C.C.W. rotation unless you pin the chuck.

Last edited:
Ok, decision time. I've found an older Atlas 618 in great condition with an upgraded tool post for $900.
Or, I up the $$ and buy a Grizzly G9972Z 11" x 26" Bench Lathe with Gearbox for about $2400 delivered.
That Sheldon looked great and it's still listed. That's 3 times the lathe of either of these choices IMHO. If it's really down to the Atlas or the Grizzly I'd go with Grizzly. Although many good parts have been made with the 618 it's limited, if you want a real opinion we will need pictures and a list of accessories that come with. "Upgraded toolpost" really doesn't mean much, you can get an AXA toolpost with holders off eBay for ~$120 and it's really not needed to start out with.

Patience is your friend here, if you are in a hurry your chances of being unhappy are greatly increased....

John

That Sheldon looked great and it's still listed. That's 3 times the lathe of either of these choices IMHO. If it's really down to the Atlas or the Grizzly I'd go with Grizzly. Although many good parts have been made with the 618 it's limited, if you want a real opinion we will need pictures and a list of accessories that come with. "Upgraded toolpost" really doesn't mean much, you can get an AXA toolpost with holders off eBay for ~$120 and it's really not needed to start out with.

Patience is your friend here, if you are in a hurry your chances of being unhappy are greatly increased....

John
I feel the same way. This is why I say we are more or less forced to buy some import lathe. This is what I was more or less saying in my reply without coming out and suggesting the Grizzly. Hell, if you can make do with a 6" swing you might as well go with brand new mini lathe with the $900.00.

We still don't know what he wants to make with a lathe. Knowing that would really help.

Another vote for the Sheldon.

Very true, I remember thinking to myself I would like to do something but I don't have the swing. Its inevitable that if this hobby intrigues you you'll always need a bigger lathe. I wonder how big the the Sheldon lathe is?

Sorry folks, the Sheldon is not available. Honestly, it was too large for the space available. I've got limited space in my small, crowded workshop.

Based on previously completed projects that would have benefitted from a lathe if I had one at the time, I'm leaning toward the Grizzly G4000 (which is currently backordered) or the Shop Fox M1049 (which is in stock now). The footprint is smaller and the whole unit weighs less so I can get creative with storage.

I'm waiting to hear back from Grizzly regarding a shipping question, but will most likely pull the trigger today or tomorrow.

Back