[Newbie] Advice On Brand to Purchase

Sandia

Active User
Registered
Don't know if this is the correct forum for this post, but here goes. I am contemplating purchasing a mill as soon as possible, but I don't know a lot about them having never operated one. I do have a 13X40 lathe that I have pretty much self taught myself to operate, so have some machining experience.

Here is the deal, I have an opportunity to do some machine work for a friend's business that requires drilling and tapping 1/2 to 1 inch NPT pipe threads in pipe flanges used in the oilfield. The machine shops that do the work for them now, drill and tap the flanges in a bridgeport mill. I am planning on taking some milling courses this fall at the local college to help me out.

One of my questions is which mill to buy. Seems the bridgeport is the desired brand but the only affordable ones are up in age. The new stuff you can purchase is Chinese made or similar and seem to be not as good quality. Would you guys have some advice or opinions on what to purchase and maybe some suggested vendors to deal with. I have found several mostly up in the NE of the US but know nothing about their integrity. Bridgeports in Texas are far and few between and those you find are pretty rough shape.

Sorry for the long post fellows but I wanted to give you some background info. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. :thinking:

I just purchased a zx45 from wholesale tools and converted it to cnc, I was very impressed with the purchase it was 2hp not 1-1/2 like the add says and upon disassembly everything was a very nice fit and finish. mine cost $1800 and this mill in enco grizzley or the others is over $3000.
another option you may concider if looking for old industrial iron is a radial drill press, in most cases they would not have had the constant use a mill may have had and be lower in cost. since tapping is part of your play you may want to concider 3 phase for instant changes in direction.
concidering you can buy 3 zx45's new for what 1 worn out bridgeport costs and a 3 phase direct replacement motor is available for about $250 and a phase converter for about the same. I'm not a machinist I'm just saying what i would do. I dont know enough about the internal workings of the old machines with no warranty to buy a good one, i'd get stuck with junk.
steve

While I dont have a broad knowledge of the Chinese BP 'clones', what I do have are quite positive. Firstly, My personal mill is an Enco 9x42 BP clone some 5 yrs old and I would buy another without question. While not in a shop setting, I am a pretty avid "home shopper' and use my tooling a good bit. I have had a couple minor glitches that would/should be expected on any machine that is used frequently.

I have knowledge of 3 other clones and they also get good reviews.

While being able to land some "good ole Amercun arn" for the shop is a desirable thing, the reality is that along with the increasing rarity of it, what does show up can be a mess of problems. For a home hobbiest with some skills - and lots of time, a rebuild can be a fun project. but for the fella wanting a machine to produce, I would go with one of the major distributors in a new unit (Grizz, Emco, Birmingham, etc)

I agree, don't be afraid of a new Asian mill. A used BP would have to be pristine to match the accuracy of a new Enco or Grizzly BP close.

But if you want to still look for used machines, broaden your range a bit. there are some neglected brands like Dah Lia (sp), Tree, and others that are often better than a BP in a variety of ways.

This Kent is overpriced but he sure sounds negotiable: http://corpuschristi.craigslist.org/tls/3297913596.html

Man, if I was near Corpus I'd be all over this package: http://corpuschristi.craigslist.org/tls/3278833853.html
Not what you are looking for though.

Yeah, that Kent would probably be a nice mill, but the seller not knowing anything about it sure makes for a gamble at that price (I would think maybe $2000-2400?? here where I am, but would want to look it over - if that is a Kurt vice, that'd be nice..)

Wish that other listing was a bit closer - seemingly nice Atlas shaper and horizontal mill, and a DP thrown is.... I'd jump all over that!!

Yessir, $2000 was about what I was thinking. I'd go look at it, feel the guy out for flexibility, then tell him "I'm interested but I'm nowhere near your price. If you still have it in a week or so and want to talk, let me know". That usually gets the conversation going right then. If not, check back and make that lowball offer. Most of the time you will get it for you price.

Thanks for the input fellows. I am interested in going the mill route as I would want more versatility. The lathe I have is a Jet GHB1340, and I have considered looking at a new Jet mill as opposed to the Bridgeport. Really confused at this point.

I won't advise buying ANYTHING KENT after seeing the truly crappy Kent lathe the maintenance blacksmith shop bought near where I worked. The bed was not strong enough,the V ways too small,you had to change the gear train several times to cut all of the threads shown on the quick change gear box. Just POOR,POOR design. Even with an old Atlas,or a 9" South Bend,you don't have to constantly re arrange the gear train. On a DECENT lathe,you only have to add a gear to cut METRIC threads. I don't know how BAD designs like this get onto the market.

Now,don't bother me or I'll tell you what I REALLY think about Kent machines!!!:)

Just a thought, being in the oil patch myself.....

Unless these are precision parts, you might consider a medium to larger sized radial drill. Lots of travel, able to handle parts much larger than a BP/Clone. And usually cheaper, as they simply aren't as popular as they were. Of course, no milling possible, but much greater drilling/tapping capability. In volume, a jig/fixture can make this a speedy (read: money making) proposition. And not to be too morbid, I know where one will be available in I'm guessing a couple of weeks max.

Just a thought, being in the oil patch myself.....

Unless these are precision parts, you might consider a medium to larger sized radial drill. Lots of travel, able to handle parts much larger than a BP/Clone. And usually cheaper, as they simply aren't as popular as they were. Of course, no milling possible, but much greater drilling/tapping capability. In volume, a jig/fixture can make this a speedy (read: money making) proposition. And not to be too morbid, I know where one will be available in I'm guessing a couple of weeks max.

Tony, I would surely be interested in the jig set up you referenced. Could you provide more information please.

Back