Advice needed on Atlas quick change toolpost.

You're absolutely correct. Don't know where my mind went to write that. I've never come across, either in ads or in comments, the equivalent Series number for the 0XA. On the AXA and larger that I have or have seen close-up photos of, it is stamped on each holder.

Robert D

That is two different sizes. AXA is the same as 100.

tripletap3,

I wasn't implying that I thought there was anything wrong with the fit or finish. I just would not buy an aluminum tool post. Two other things that bother me about the description are the 1/4-20 hold-down bolt and the fact that none of the long list of sets that are identified as to specific machines give the industry sizes.

If 1/4" diameter is actually the largest that will fit the specific application (in this case the Atlas 6"), the least they could have done is use a 1/4"-28 which has a slightly larger effective cross section.

And not giving the size tends to make me suspect that they aren't standard sizes. I can't think of any other valid reason to omit it. At least from the buyer's standpoint.

Robert D.

The A2Z is anything but cheap. The USA made toolpost has fit and finish is far superior to any of the asian made ones. Here is a good thread on the same issue you are having. http://www.hobby-machinist.com/show...ange-Tool-Post-package-for-6-quot-Atlas-lathe

Thank you everyone for your input, the gent concerned is kind enough to do a trade with me so whatever the aluminium toolposts shortcomings are it's still worth the risk to me. I'll let you all know my opinion on it when it's in my grubby hands.

Regards
Steve

I used the TS Engineering version of that same aluminum toolpost, on the same exact Atlas 618. I had no issues at all. I even pushed it pretty hard, quite frankly. Yes, looking back, I would still buy steel, and wedge style if I had had the choice then.
But my experience was that keeping the whole machine tightened up well, PIN THE GIBS, I could even part steel 3inch diameter.

Bernie

I had a reply from Chris today about my question concerning whether or not the toolpost and tool holders are 0XA compatible. The short answer is "no". The toolpost is the same approximate size as 0XA but 0XA tool holders will not fit it. So if you buy the set, be sure that you buy extra turning/facing tool holders. I would recommend at least five additional. Beyond that, I'll withhold any further comments.

Robert D.

not big on the aluminum or not being a wedge ..

got my last sets on ebay..hardened steel , wedge, axa..

DSC02222.JPG

Hi,
I just purchased one of these QCTPs. To date I have used it only once but, it sure beats the lantern tool post for quick, accurate set up. Most tools work better in the hands of someone that know how to use them. Judging from your pictures, you will be thrilled with this unit. Like all things mechanical, keep it lubricated. For mine, I had to shorten the length of the "tee" nut. It is round and made of aluminum. The post would not tighten due to the "tee" nut being too long. Everything else works according to plan. Not trying to exclude anyone of sales but, I got mine on Ebay about a month ago and it was about $30.00 cheaper. Exact same unit.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/A2Z-QCTP-Qu...3?pt=BI_Tool_Work_Holding&hash=item33840a4353

Or, just search for A2Z QCTP on ebay. I love saving a buck.

I have the A2Z unit I'm mainly purchased it for my small unimat lathe, but I also use it on my 12 inch craftsmen commercial with 1/4 inch spacer to allow it to operate in the center of its range. I do not use it for making heavy cuts, I'm quite pleased with it.

Back