Adequate Hobbyist Drill Press?

I have a bench mount version of that by a generic make , it's been very reliable (is a second hand to me drill also) and the quill throw is a step up from a lot of the cheep end of the generic drill press range.

Occasionally it would be nice if the throat was larger but then it would need to be a whole size up I guess.

Stu

I made an offset for my Taiwan bench drill press to increase the swing from 13" to 18". I used a 2-1/2" thick spacer for the table to center the table under the spindle. It also increased my overall travel by about 5"

Drill Press 1 .JPG
Drill Press 2 .JPG

I made an offset for my Taiwan bench drill press to increase the swing from 13" to 18". I used a 2-1/2" thick spacer for the table to center the table under the spindle. It also increased my overall travel by about 5"

View attachment 467892View attachment 467893

That is an interesting and elegant mod to the drill press, looks a very practical way of increasing the throat.

How thick is the plate you used on the column part ?

Stu

That is an interesting and elegant mod to the drill press, looks a very practical way of increasing the throat.

How thick is the plate you used on the column part ?

Stu
I used 5/8" plate. The socket is Sch. 80 pipe and the post is a solid piece. The spacer for the table was made by casting an appropriate slug of aluminum and turning it to size.

I am thinking of buying this model after you posted up the clearance price- but went through the reviews and 2 struck me right off .
One said the column is exceptionally thin as in well under 1/8" wall. That would be a deal breaker.
The second was a claim drilling 1/4" holes in mild steel and actually snapped the main shaft.

Have a lot of HF stuff and one is an Early HF Central Machinery desk top with the 1/2" chuck. Maybe my oldest HF tool.
It always spun the chuck to quickly for larger bits, so I mounted a junk 2 speed 1 1/2 HP Hot tub pump motor and reduction pulley and can run it at under 100 RPM,
Sure would be nice to get a new taller and adjustable DP though.

I think I will check it out in the store, Never know about reviews, it might be just fine . Thanks for posting up the HF unit.

The trouble with belt drive drill presses is they spin too fast , even if it has a 3 pully setup. Looking at the chart above the slowest speed on that drill is 220 rpm. I can't readily find a speed chart for you but to me that seems a bit fast for a 1/2" bit in mild steel.
PS,
I don't expect others to do as I did.
But lest we forget, you CAN scrimp and save for a couple/few years and buy a good drill press you know.
'Buy it Now' has its advantages but a fine tool is worth the wait...

Attachments

• 2023-11-20_03_18_14.jpg
    2023-11-20_03_18_14.jpg
    323 KB · Views: 82
I think the model the OP posted will be fine. Mine is a Taiwan machine from the 80’s. Slower speeds would be nice though.

Honestly though, if I had my druthers, and space was no concern, the industrial drill presses are much, much better machines. If also an order of magnitude more dangerous imo.

Personally, I’d prefer my drill press to slip, if the other option happens to be spinning the vise, the work, and the freshly bent 3/4” drill bit when things go awry.

And yes, I’ve done it. Bad day at the office I must say. Lol

HF drill press will do. Should be able to find a used one for less than half that. Find a Rockwell if possible, but almost anything will do. Don’t have to be married to any tool, find something that works for what you need. If something better comes along then upgrade.

One place to splurge here is on a vise. And drill bits.

John

HF drill press will do. Should be able to find a used one for less than half that. Find a Rockwell if possible, but almost anything will do. Don’t have to be married to any tool, find something that works for what you need. If something better comes along then upgrade.

One place to splurge here is on a vise. And drill bits.

John
A quick look at Craigslist finds a lot of "vintage" relics, but I'm fast becoming "vintage" myself!

If also an order of magnitude more dangerous imo.

Personally, I’d prefer my drill press to slip, if the other option happens to be spinning the vise, the work, and the freshly bent 3/4” drill bit when things go awry.
True.
But an order of magnitude includes your safety habits too.
You Aways have the vise - or part you are drilling firmly bolted down, and both the head and table firmly clamped when using a large bit.
A morse taper drill has no place to slip.

Attachments

• 2023-11-24_09_05_29.jpg
    2023-11-24_09_05_29.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 66
Back