Adequate Hobbyist Drill Press?

Just an FYI as to the differences between a hobby grade drill press and a “light industrial” drill press

The Jet 125VS-3 drill press in my shop was considered a middle of the road light industrial drill press when it was purchased in 1987. The specifications are as follows.

Spindle speeds 200-2000
Tapping capacity. 3/4” cast iron
Column diameter. 4”
Distance spindle to column. 10”
Spindle taper. JT3
Spindle travel. 6 1/2”
Spindle to base. 39”
Table size. 22”x 19 1/2” with 2 T slots
Base size. 26” x 19”
Height. 70”
Weight 750 lbs.
Motor. 1 hp 2 speed. 1720/860
HI/Lo switch
Drill/Tap switch
Table raising mechanism

The column is 4” DOM tube with a 10mm thick wall.

Last edited:
I've got a 70's Jet benchtop Drill press (made in Taiwan). No idea of what I paid for it but given what it was bought for I'm sure it was Cheap!
I recently replaced the bearings and did some mods, better quill lock and depth stop. Checked runout on the Jacobs taper, couldn't detect any with a quality dial test indicator. Everything is cast iron except the pulleys. Worst thing about this DP is the three pulley scheme for speeds. PIA to change speeds. I did have to replace the motor start capacitor.

The sellers know their target buyers. HF has never been know for quality. That said, some of their stuff is perfectly usable @ the hobbyist level. I've got their roll-around tool cabinets and recently saw the same ones while touring a major manufacturer's plant.

The old semi-decent hobby brands are now all made in China. Some years ago I bought a Powermatic shaper to just run a ¼ slot for drawer bottoms. Crappy machine, I sold it to some other fool. Bought a used Italian shaper, much better.

The main column is .060 " in wall thickness. That is NOT a misprint. That is thinner than most exhaust pipe tubing- Not thrilled

What surprises me is not that the Chinese machinery from HF is unuseable junk but that people continue to buy the stuff from there.

This photo shows a section of the column from a drill press that I parted out.
You can see the wall is a wee bit thicker than 60 thou. It is more like 600 thou.
This column was made of cast iron and has a stiffener cast into the length of it.
It appears to me that you bought some scrap that was assembled into the shape of a drill press but you did not get a real drill press.
I would return it!
You get what you pay for fellas.
You get what you pay for...

Attachments

• 2023-12-23_01_21_18.jpg
    2023-12-23_01_21_18.jpg
    393.5 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Spent time yesterday re shimming the table lift gear and it works OK. I was wrong on the collar with the drive being Aluminum it is cast iron after all.

I did assemble the rest of the drill press and measured the run out on the spindle with the chuck and it still will only deflect with pushing laterally about .005 each way, measuring quill fully extended and pushing on one side side then the other.

Just spinning with chuck installed with decent drill rod it stays around, .005" I did put a vice on and mounted some 3/8" thick steel and drilled some 1/2" holes with a Dull drill bit on purpose, Which takes some real pressure to do. It deflects the table as much or more than my old smaller bench top which has a much smaller diameter column but Is way thicker steel.

I tried to stop the motor by plunging the cut and it slipped the belts instead. Motor seems plenty good enough.
The supplied belts are really low quality and with quality belts am sure the head would be a smooth runner.

That leaves me with the column metal thickness being thin... along with the tables Aluminum casting table pivot support and lock to collar mount that Is flexing under pressure.

Putting aside the checkout and just " actually Using" the drill press it is a major step up in convenience from the small bench unit. This new one has less run out. Having a crank for the table lift is very nice

I started with trying to buy the next smaller $209 unit and already basically doubled the price. $400 isn't a huge amount these days.
After looking at the $700 12 speed press reviews It actually had a few complaints for a Very loose spindle on "some" of them. I do have the 1/2 knee mill for accurate drilling if there is enough z clearance and a 0-300 RPM Mag drill with cutters and drill adaptor.

Thinking as long as I make sure to have sharp bits this drill press could be OK, Not great, but usable.
Tried piece's of 3/8"- 1/2" steel in the vice and some 1" holes. Other than the belts being cheap and slipping it did drill the holes. But It is enough Flex that it can be felt by how much you rotate the spindles rack and can be easily seen while applying pressure.

It does BUG me.

They had to ruin the design by using Aluminum on two castings instead of cast Iron and the obviously not rigid enough .060 "Tubing"

The other SKU has a Different column as well. No Aluminum and double the amp motor. I think it is what this model should be.

After mulling it over, I disassembled and re-boxed It for return.
Will wait for January and see if a 20% off coupon shows up- and try the $700 12 speed 300LB press Maybe the extra pounds are where this model is missing them.

Will definitely open it up in store and check the column thickness and spindle play.

I have only returned one other item in years of buying HF stuff, that was a laser level.

Actually the same kind of problem, they used cheap plastic for the base to center pivot which made the laser useless since the "flex" and play would introduce inches of error in vertical distance at 10 feet away.

ps. Will keep checking CL but so far everything is more money and that includes HF models that are bench top.

Attachments

• PXL_20231222_002209458.MP.jpg
    PXL_20231222_002209458.MP.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
What surprises me is not that the Chinese machinery from HF is unuseable junk but that people continue to buy the stuff from there.

This photo shows a section of the column from a drill press that I parted out.
You can see the wall is a wee bit thicker than 60 thou. It is more like 600 thou.
This column was made of cast iron and has a stiffener cast into the length of it.
It appears to me that you bought some scrap that was assembled into the shape of a drill press but you did not get a real drill press.
I would return it!
You get what you pay for fellas.
You get what you pay for.

Is that exhaust tubing being used as a drill press column?

View attachment 471784
That is a picture I took of the supplied "column". .060 inch wall thickness.
Not sure if it "really" is the same as exhaust tubing the OD was a bit over 3.1"
It is all boxed up and going back.

Last edited:
just over 3" OD.
Wow , whilst a 3" OD 1.5mm tube is very very strong, I'm not sure it's appropriate for a drill press column. My tiwan special is a 2 and 7/8" OD and from memory the wall is in the range of 1/4" to 3/8" wall.

I was hopping you had miss measured to be honest.

Whats funny is it looks like a direct clone of the generic drill press's but you say cast in aluminum ? All parts on mine are cast iron not just the base.

Being amazon that should be easy to return I'm guessing. Good luck.

Stu

Wow , whilst a 3" OD 1.5mm tube is very very strong, I'm not sure it's appropriate for a drill press column. My tiwan special is a 2 and 7/8" OD and from memory the wall is in the range of 1/4" to 3/8" wall.

I was hopping you had miss measured to be honest.

Whats funny is it looks like a direct clone of the generic drill press's but you say cast in aluminum ? All parts on mine are cast iron not just the base.

Being amazon that should be easy to return I'm guessing. Good luck.

Stu
The 2 parts that are Aluminum castings are the column vertical support which allows flex if you use the cast iron base plate while drilling and the table support which can add flex to the thin columns flex.

It is the Harbor Freight 'mid sized' floor press. So it will go back to the store.

Somewhat concerned about return, since it was Not in stock and I ordered it in.

The 2 parts that are Aluminum castings are the column vertical support which allows flex if you use the cast iron base plate while drilling and the table support which can add flex to the thin columns flex.

It is the Harbor Freight 'mid sized' floor press. So it will go back to the store.

Somewhat concerned about return, since it was Not in stock and I ordered it in.

To be fair , the drill press is in the very affordable price range. The aluminum castings might be ok.

People sometimes fill the column of their machines with cement to make them more durable/heavier which might help with some of the vibrations and the belts will bed in a bit.

Don't drill a hole in the table before you decide if your going to try and return it. :)

Stu

Back