adding variable speed to one speed biax

LEEQ

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm thinking about picking up an older biax. Has anyone remodeled these to have variable speed?

I'm not super up on all the ins and outs of motors and controllers. Have you hooked one up? I can't afford to fry a high end tool with maybe/probably. I need expert help. Anybody that can shed light on this would be greatly appreciated.:))

They are a brush type motor, it will work, i used them to scrap ways for years and also had them apart it will work

I'm guessing the neutral leg runs to the motor unbroken and the hot leg would have the device added to it with the power going from the control to the motor. Does this sound about right? Would a small angle grinder work the same and be a good crash test dummy? Thanks:))

all you have to do is plug the scraper in to the speed control and plug the control in to the wall it is a no brainier

That could not be more perfect. Would it work on the grinder too? Do they have the same kind of motors?

When slowing AC motors, especially on a mice machine like a BIAX, try to use pulse with modulation instead of lowering voltage like the common router speed controller.

If the motor whines, it's struggling and trying to suck amps. This is bad for the motor, so if you have to slow it down don't slow it till it whines.

Are there readily available pwm devices to plug into? Something that would be a simple project that won't burn up a high dollar tool? I can handle basic wiring, I just don't have much of a knowledge base when it comes to motors and controllers.

Are there readily available pwm devices to plug into? Something that would be a simple project that won't burn up a high dollar tool? I can handle basic wiring, I just don't have much of a knowledge base when it comes to motors and controllers.

Don't know, I'm not any better at electrical stuff than you! I call myself electrically challenged.

Back