Adding Taper attachment to Lathe

John_Dennis

Active User
Registered
I have a Harrison heavy 11 inch lathe and an unknown taper attachment from my junk collection. I am considering trying to make it fit. I have never actually used a Taper Attachment before.

Can anyone Identify this part and help me understand what parts are missing and how it works?

Thanks

John

IMG_3115.jpg IMG_3117.jpg IMG_3118.jpg IMG_3119.jpg IMG_3120.jpg IMG_3121.jpg

The part you show in the pictures looks like it is the piece which mounts to the end of the carriage and is used to set the taper angle.

I am not sure what parts are missing. A mount for the left side of the part at least.

Other threads on the site discuss how to use a taper attachment, also a number of YouTube videos. I have seen the videos, but do not yet have any experience in using a taper attachment, just desires for the future.

Just be aware that if its anything like current lathes, having the rear taper slide attachment is only half the battle. Many have a different cross slide feed screw & nut assembly in order to detach & allow the slide to be guided by the taper bar. Some are of a telescoping nature. Others have a procedure like undo-ing specific fasteners (typically tied to the nut or nut assembly). On my lathe its actually a different cross slide casting. Try & locate some manuals to see what was available & parts. I've seen some conversions but they range from relatively simple to quite involved depending on the lathe. Hope this helps, goo luck!

I am hoping someone will recognize this taper attachment so I can look for some photos of a complete unit. I will have to disconnect the cross slide nut to use the taper attachment. harrison lathes are rare in the US, I am certain I will not be able to find any affordable parts.

Although they are generic in general, that looks a lot like a south bend. Check out ebay for references.

Hello John.
I have not used this type of tool either but have made several lathe centers using the top slide of my Clausing lathe, but am getting prepared to mount a taper attachment.
We have similar problems with respect to the taper attachment in that I have a very similar appearing attachment. I may be overstating the obvious so please bear with me as I go through what I have learned to date.
1. The bracket on the side will attach to the lathe carriage. It slides along the bottom of the attachment as the carriage moves left or right.
2. The clamp on the right side obviously secures the taper attachment to the lathe bed near the tailstock and prevents it from moving. In my case I have to make a right hand bracket and a carriage mount that holds the taper attachment (TA) parallel to the lathe ways in all three directions.
3. You are missing a "follower block" that slides on the top guide which is set to the taper angle. A rod connecting the carriage cross slide to the follower block is also missing. The end of rod at the follower block must be made to adjust to the different angles set on the TA, and once set be able to be tightly secured to the follower block. Various diameters of stock may affect this attachment. As you stated you will have to disconnect the cross-slide lead screw and remove that nut when using this type of TA. In my case I intend to make this block heavy enough that it will follow the adjustable slide easily, since my slide has no dove tails.
4. As I understand the turning procedure the cutting tool is forced away from the lathe centerline as the tool is moved towards the head stock, which IMHO requires light cuts.
I am certainly willing to to discuss this project through PM to clarify any confusion.
Have a good day
Ray

Ray,

I will keep you posted. This is an intermittent project, Im not sure when I will get back to it.

Back