Added DRO to cross slide

Old Iron

Active User
Registered
I got the DRO added to my cross slide this morning and it works great. I need to build a guard for it.

It took me awhile to get it in my head that .010 on the DRO was .020 on the dial. When I'm turning down something to get it close to what I need I take .060 DOC. Not looking at the dial I set it with the DRO and i was trying to cut .140 not a good thing. Not damage to the lathe just a broken insert.

Now that I have my brain ingear it is a good add on for the price.

Paul

DRO.JPG Dials.JPG Read Out.JPG

Hi Paul,
I am considering adding a cross slide dro, but the lack of mounting choices is a problem. You have lost a bit of travel there for your tailstock.
I will be interested in hearing how your set up goes.

Cheers Phil

I'm sitting here with the same DRO that OldIron is using. Still pondering how I want to install it though. I don't have the taper attachment on my lathe so I may make use of that, still thinking it through.

I do have a questions about the DRO's "track". Is it just a magnetic strip and can it be trimmed to length without any repercussions?

Thanks,

-Ron

Only place to put it as for the tail stock lost has been a problem yet. But I havent used it much yet. I did use it to drill tap and thread the end that screws in to the taper attachment.

Paul

I don't know if-n you can cut these down or not. I know you can most of them so why not these.:thinking:

Old Iron,
I like that DRO idea, and would consider putting one on my old Atlas, but as Phil mentioned, it does seem to take up some space where the tailstock nestles in there. I tend to want to use as little of the tailstock ram as possible, since my lathe isn't as rigid as some, and that just sets the tailstock even further back. Was there another option for mounting it, that maybe you didn't like as well as this way?

I fell in love with the use of a DRO when I took that machining course last month, and can't wait to figure out how to put one on my lathe.:)

Tim,,,

Tim

The only other place you could mount it would be on the other side, You would have to build a guard over it. I'm going to put one over mine prolly tomorrow I'll post a picture of it if-n I do.

Paul

Hmmm, I never thought of this problem when I bought mine. I suppose you could mount it off the back if you have the room?

I like your setup Ol' Iron, I may copy this, and just use some wingnuts to tighten it down with so that it can be removed easily.

I used 10/24 brass screws easy to remove it if-n I need to.

Paul

Old Iron

Let me dig out a few pics for you, It should give you some ideas for mounting that scale.. I have a question for you. Its that the type of scale that uses a remote reader display? or are you reading only the scale as shown? And one more for ya, do you have a taper attachment on your lathe? I know, sounds like a dumb question, but have reasons for asking.

Ok, I see a remote reader head, thats good, let me dig up those pics then

I do have a questions about the DRO's "track". Is it just a magnetic strip and can it be trimmed to length without any repercussions?

Hi Ron,
Yep you can cut to suit. This is the exact same DRO I fitted to my lathe and mill. If you examine the strip closely you can make out the shape of the little "thingys" under the black surface. I just cut between 2, 'cos I wasnt sure what would happen:bitingnails:
I did find that they only work one way though after I removed the slider and stuck it back on reversed. The display just drifts around. Thought I had stuffed it then:whistle:

Cheers Phil

Old Iron

Let me dig out a few pics for you, It should give you some ideas for mounting that scale.. I have a question for you. Its that the type of scale that uses a remote reader display? or are you reading only the scale as shown? And one more for ya, do you have a taper attachment on your lathe? I know, sounds like a dumb question, but have reasons for asking.

Ok, I see a remote reader head, thats good, let me dig up those pics then

Yes I have a taper attachment.

Paul

Back