Adapter to run lathe without the compound

cathead

CATWERKS LTD
Registered
I was thinking of naming this post: Turning a sow's ear into a silk purse" but went for more traditional wording. My project started with a rusty 6 inch round
by two inches thick piece of unknown material cut with a plasma cutter. It has been laying under the lathe of several years so decided to try make something
out of it.:idea: It was the rough diameter for what I would need to operate the lathe without the compound. Machining was pretty straight forward until I needed to
use a Woodruff cutter to make the grooves where the base of the tool post would fit. I didn't work it very hard but it wasn't long and it was having a hard time
making chips.:eek 2: I see the cost of cutters has doubled as of late so I welded a big washer onto a piece of 9/16 rod and added some carbides to the washer face.
An old carbide tooth 10 inch saw blade served as a donor for the carbide teeth. The chips were tiny so the grooving operation took several hours to complete
but it did get the job done. In my free time, I will make a better one with more teeth for future use. My only regret is that I didn't take a photo of the chunk of
steel before I started working on it. P1030438.JPG
I have no idea what this thing is called but it eliminates the compound if you desire more rigidity when using the lathe probably for cut off operations.

P1030439.JPG
This it it, not perfect so I will call it pretty good.P1030440.JPG

On the left is where the compound goes and on the right is the adapter to run the lathe without one.

P1030441.JPG
On the left is the adapter with the compound on the right. I had to patch up the groove cut by the plasma cutter with some weld but it's
not visible while using it. :grin:

The wind is blowing from the north and it is supposed to be 20 below zero tonight so maybe a good day to clean all the chips I made in the shop yesterday.

I've seen that referred to as a plinth, it is a common modification on smaller rigidity challenged import lathes.

I'd been calling my version a "riser" but since it doesn't elevate any of my tooling higher than the compound would, calling it a "plinth" is probably more accurate.

It is installed on my 7x mini lathe, for the reason described by @Aaron_W. It makes a big difference in doing things like parting off, which is a good rigidity test for mini-lathes.

Some people get improved rigidity from the compound, simply by drilling new holes which secure the compound from a more centralized location, as versus the holes which are closer to the end. LMS makes the re-drilled compounds as an upgrade item for the mini lathes.
It is item 1677 (for mini 7 X 12/14/16 Sieg 2 lathes) at little machine shop.

The picture was of the part before it was cleaned, and the protective oil/grease was still on the surface.

Attachments

• Lower Compound block Reverse side 1677 NEW HOLES.jpg
    Lower Compound block Reverse side 1677 NEW HOLES.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 15
Back