Acme Thread Worm Gear

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to find a worm gear that will mesh with an acme thread lead screw. Does anyone know if there is such a thing or any ideas on what would work? The acme lead screws are 1/2 - 10 and I want to add a handle to move the carriage out of the way faster then just running the power feed or turning the leadscrew handle. To do this I need a worm gear that will mesh into the acme threads so I can quick traverse the length with just a few turns of the hand wheel. The best idea I have come up with so far is using a 10 pitch spur gear then use a 1/2" endmill and cut a slight concave in the teeth so it will contour to the shaft better and that along with the 14.5 degree PA on the spur gear and the 29 degree included angle on the acme screw I am thinking it should mesh pretty well but I don't have any 10 pitch gears around and they are not the cheapest things so I do not want to buy one unless I have high confidence it will work. So I was hoping someone could point out where my logic is wrong or verify my concept? Well any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Jason
Did you make any progress with this project? I just watched a utube video of a guy making a gear for his lead screw.

Back