Acme thread - chatter in base of cut

dansawyer

Registered
Registered
The project is to cut 10 pitch Acme threads in a section of W1 tool steel. I am about half way through a test cut and I am seeing chatter in the base of the cut. The tool is an Acme thread carbide insert. I have the compound feed set to 14 1/2 degrees and feeding with the compound. The cuts are shallow, about 5 thou. Even with this small cut there is significant pull on the cut. After 3 or 4 passes the part is very warm to touch. I am cutting dry. (I really don't have a coolant option at the present. Can I take smaller cuts as an alternative? )
The lathe is a Clausing 13 Engine lathe. The rpm is about 500. The diameter of the part is about .85 inch. The cutter is new. It has a built in rake angle and I have the tool holder level and set about 1/8 inch below center.

It's definitely a good idea. Any thicker bodied oil will help. Just don't use WD-40 :)

Also, that RPM is way too fast for thread cutting, personally, I would be using a HSS tool at perhaps 150 0r 200 RPM. A carbide tool would be fine on a capable CNC machine, not so much on a relatively light machine such as yours. Better than ordinary cutting oil is TapMagic, I use it for nearly all my work involving steels.

Missed that too.

Also, that RPM is way too fast for thread cutting, personally, I would be using a HSS tool at perhaps 150 0r 200 RPM. A carbide tool would be fine on a capable CNC machine, not so much on a relatively light machine such as yours. Better than ordinary cutting oil is TapMagic, I use it for nearly all my work involving steels.
Thank you. I will lower the speed to 200 RPM.
I did try some standard oil and that seemed to help.

Back