ACE 1/4 - 3/4" tap & die set, marketplace purchase

Because I don't see "HS" stamped on any of the dies, I also suspected carbon steel.
However, I don't think I've ever seen a non-HS adjustable dies.

Based on the nice case and "Professional Quality" on the label, maybe they are HSS.

@yota
Are any of the taps or dies marked HS?
If not, please run a file against an edge of some dies to determine if they are RC60ish hard.

Inquiring minds want to know.

PS: I have a HANSON 29 peace (1/16-1/2) drill set w/ Index that I bought in the early 70s (Good God, that's 50 years ago) and they are HSS and still in very good shape.
no HS or HSS markings.

You need to buy/bid on some job-lot "engineer tools" lots on eBay

Errr... No. Thanks, but no. I am EXTEREMELY picky when it comes to tools and tooling.

As for T&D, I opt to buy new and only as and when needed. I do not have the space to do otherwise.

Errr... No. Thanks, but no. I am EXTEREMELY picky when it comes to tools and tooling.

As for T&D, I opt to buy new and only as and when needed. I do not have the space to do otherwise.
Most of my taps and dies are Dormer or equivalent quality. You just have to look a little harder at the pics. ;)

The workshop clearances I've gone for with Charter Auctions are generally from small workshops that tend not to go through taps and dies that fast but do tend to buy quality.

I do have some tap and die shaped scrap from both sources but I'll find a use for it via my bench grinder; I do try to avoid waste. ;)

There's nothing more annoying than needing a specific Whitworth threaded hole at a given moment and not having a tap. ;)

If things do not say HSS, they are not HSS, they may be a good quality of alloy steel, head and shoulders ahead of Chineseium, but still not HSS

well, for the price, and condition, I'm very happy.

PXL_20240520_150547387.MP.jpg

Last edited:
If you could date the set that would tell you something too.
I doubt there was much high carbon stuff being produced after the early 50s and your set doesnt doesn't look that old to me.

Edit:
This came with some taps and tap handles I bought this week.
Has the adjustment to center the die like yours.
Cool stuff that you don't get from...
I have no dies that fit it but it was a curious enough piece to keep.

Attachments

• 420202419518.jpg
    420202419518.jpg
    407.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
If you could date the set that would tell you something too.
I doubt there was much high carbon stuff being produced after the early 50s and your set doesnt doesn't look that old to me.

Edit:
This came with some taps and tap handles I bought this week.
Has the adjustment to center the die like yours.
Cool stuff that you don't get from...
I have no dies that fit it but it was a curious enough piece to keep.
I love how much effort they put into aesthetics in those days, even on a lowly tool. look how they turned the handles to be thinner towards the middle and even those rings they turned. nice die wrench. looks like it's for 1" dia dies. all of the dies in my set are 1-1/2" diameter.

took a small, like 5/16" 3-sided file to one of the dies this morning. (used one of the 2 NPT dies just in case LOL). would not cut, just skates off. just kinda shined up the rim. hard as hell.

Back