Acceptable run out for old 3 jaw chuck?

Are the jaws and chuck numbered. If not its possible they could have been moved. They will only work in one order but its possible they may be more accurate in different positions.

I have this same exact chuck but in a 4" model that belonged to my dad. It is threaded 1/2-20 on the back to fit the old 6" Craftsman lathe from years ago. The jaws are numbered. Not really a rebuildable chuck per say with the way it is built. Be best to find a new chuck to take its place and save the old one for a door stop or something to throw at the nagging squirrel that keeps throwing acorns at you!

The jaws are numbered. door stop? I can use it the way it is for much of what I do.
This is a hobby and I am retired living on Social security, No complaints but I limit myself to relatively cheap toys! A new Bison chuck is not in my future!! Don

Played with it a little today; One piece of round stock was .002" run out, (about the same as the spindle) but another was .006", larger pieces were .009 to .018 depending on re chucking the work. I did turn the piece that was .002". After turning is was just a slight wiggle on the dial, way less than .001".
I am learning! Thanks for all the help. Don

Back