Absolute

Coomba

Active User
Registered
Will someone explain what the absolute scale is used for on a digital micrometer?

It means the distance between the fixed and adjustable jaw, starting from zero when they are in contact.

On an ABS (absolute) digital scale, you have a zero point and an ABS (or as I like to call it an auxiliary) zero. They can be set to two different points, and you can switch between each zero point without loosing both. It's stored in the readouts memory and removing the battery will reset both.

This means in your case, you can have your normal zero with the micrometer faces touching then swap over to your ABS zero to set it to a part length for comparing a batch of pieces, then back to your true zero all without resetting anything. The ABS button swaps between your two zero origin points. In a nutshell you have two zero points that can be reset independently. Hope this helps :)

On an ABS (absolute) digital scale, you have a zero point and an ABS (or as I like to call it an auxiliary) zero. They can be set to two different points, and you can switch between each zero point without loosing both. It's stored in the readouts memory and removing the battery will reset both.

This means in your case, you can have your normal zero with the micrometer faces touching then swap over to your ABS zero to set it to a part length for comparing a batch of pieces, then back to your true zero all without resetting anything. The ABS button swaps between your two zero origin points. In a nutshell you have two zero points that can be reset independently. Hope this helps :)

So this means that if I wanted to measure several parts of the same length, this would tell me how much they may deviate in their length, from their intended length? Is that correct?

So this means that if I wanted to measure several parts of the same length, this would tell me how much they may deviate in their length, from their intended length? Is that correct?

Yes, that is called a "Comparative measurement."
Rather than measuring the length of each part and doing the math, you zero on one and read the direct difference. You can do this and still keep your closed anvil zero using the ABS function.

Yes, that is called a "Comparative measurement."
Rather than measuring the length of each part and doing the math, you zero on one and read the direct difference. You can do this and still keep your closed anvil zero using the ABS function.

Got it! Thanks

Back