About to buy my first Lathe/Mill, Help!

dbmaximus

Registered
Registered
I graduated from a machine tool technolgy program about 8 years ago but never worked in the area. I am about to buy a lathe or lathe mill combo for hobby gunsmithing but know nothing about machine quaility. I Have $4000 to spend and have been looking at mill/lathe combos. What are your opinions on these, and what can I get for 4K. I've been looking at grizzly and smithy combo machines but I'm sure there are others in my price range. I recently read that grizzly machines are not to good though, so I am leary of what to buy. Any help is appreciated.

Please consider strongly your thinking on a combo machine! They have a very bad reputation across the board. Of course there are a few owners that seem to like them, but by far the majority of comments on them - all of them - is dismal. The lathe can be pretty good, but the mill is usually a real pain. Do some research, google them and do some reading.

For 4 grand you can get a quite nice stand alone lathe and mill and be a far happier camper.

I have read that they were kind of a pain. I forgot to ask if buying two separate machines would save me major headaches.

What level of hobby gunsmithing. General repair, pistol building, rifle building. The first two are easily done with a small lathe, while barreling rifles is easier done on a larger one. And like has been said, two separate machines will be much easier to use and save a lot of set-up time.
Bobby

I mainly want to build flash suppressors, thread barrels, build rifles, I think about everything :D

I am really just learning to do gunsmith work so about everything interest me right now. I dont even really want to limit myself to gunsmithing. Just looking for a fun hobby.

I cast my vote for separates also. There are many lathes and mills you can get for your budget, but be aware that tooling up is a major expense as well, and you should keep it in mind.

Okay it obviouly seems that lathe/mill combos stink! So that brings me to the next question. I feel I will be doing a lot more turning than milling so any suggestions on machines. I will need a machine that is efficient at threading.

Here is what grizzly told me:

I appreciate your question concerning our metalworking machines for gunsmiths. Of the three machines you have listed, the G4003G 12" X 36" Gunsmith's Lathe with Stand is the only one fully equipped to accommodate long rifle barrels for chambering. The outboard spindle has a built in spider bolt feature that centers the barrel through the center of the spindle. The tailstock also has a lockdown feature where it can be tightened using a torque wrench to lower the center height up to .006" for more precise center boring using the tailstock. The G4003G also comes with a quick-change tool post that will accept 200-series tool holders while the G4791 12" X 39" Large Combination Lathe and Milling Machine and the G0492 12" X 36" Combination Lathe with Milling Attachment do not have quick-change tool posts available. It can be costly to equip the combination machines with the features that are standard on a gunsmith's lathe. The G4003G has a gear-head so manual gear changing is minimized as compared to the G4791.

I hate to spend that much and still have to buy a mill, but it seems this is the way to go. Maybe I could find a used one with these features?

Last edited by a moderator:
12x36 import from most anyone would be fine. $2500-$3000 new approx
Or find a mint Clausing or Logan. There are quite a few very nice American-made lathes still going begging as shops change to CNC. You don't say where you are, but availability is either feast or famine, depending on location.

Never heard of that Grizzly tailstock feature - pretty cool! I'd take a look at that, accurate chambering might be important to you.

Big milling machines can be bought for surprisingly little if you watch the ads - and you have some space. Bridgeports don't usually go cheap, but better mills often do. I had to pass on a very nice Dah Lih ($1000) last year for lack of a place to put it.

If I had to buy new, I'd be looking at one of the benchtop square-column mills, or even the 6x26 knee mills.
I'd generally avoid the round-column mill-drills, although you can do good work with them, and you find them in a lot of gunsmith shops.

I'm in western kentucky (owensboro). I never hear of much for sale around here.

I did find this ZX45 that seem pretty decent?? http://www.hossmachine.info/RF-45_Clone.html

I also ran across the Shop Fox gunsmithing lathe. Anyone have any experience with these? I would like to buy American made but with limited funds and tooling I might have to buy an import to start with since no one seems to bash there abilities to hard.

The thing with me buying a used lathe is that I am not sure how to spot a good machine. I would rather have a good used SB 10L or something but I could buy a lemon just as well as a peach and not know it.

I like all of that Enginuitive stuff knudsen. This site is a great help! thanks to all who have shared there opinion for this ignorant first time buyer! :D

Back