Aaaggghhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ranch23

Active User
Registered
I was tramming in my mill and snapped off a bolt in the face of the head housing. I had to walk away but think I have to pull the entire head to replace it. Must be Monday.

What mill do you have? Someone on here may know how they're put together.

It could be a stud - drilling and using a good easy-out might solve it. I'm assuming there was a nut on the outer end, rather than a bolt head.

Its a square headed bolt in backwards, nut on the face of the mill, Im sure the head is in a recess trapped by the housing and I believe I will have to pull the entire head loose, or completely off. Its an Acra mill.

Sounds like its one of the 4 that are loosed to allow the head to rotate?? If so, yes you will have to pull the head. As you said it should be a square head bolt, not a stud, that rides in a circle T slot.... bummer!!

Yes, and yes im kicking myself, altho' I wasn't hanging off of it.

When you replace that bolt get a GOOD quality or make and replace all of them ifin they be chicom bolts:thinking:
Just my 2cents worth :))

A little story here around those T bolts ---

Couple years ago I bought a Bridgeport type mill (Induma) for $500 without being able to do any thing except determine it was pretty sad. Hauled it home without needing to tilt the head, but on arriving home I needed to then tilt the head to get it into the shop -- well, guess what, it wouldnt tilt! After much scratching of the head??? what the??? took the head off and whoa! someone had pulled 3 of the 4 T bolts thru the Tslot and then had the brilliant idea to replace them with studs (would make for a difficult tramming of the head, no?)

For some 2-3 months I was figuring it was only good for parting out, but between my buddy and I we figured out a repair and it turned out OK. Have since found out its not too uncommon for this to happen when a heavy hand is used...

I guess the moral of the story is to keep this in mind when tightening these down..:phew:

I have a few pics of this, Ill start another post and show it...

Please do, and I have been at this since 1986, you would think that that could never happen to me (us).

I would bet that Acra is a Taiwan machine and a pretty nice one. Same as many others from there. I think that is a fairly common problem as I recall seeing that in shops I worked in. (more than a few) They just tightened it down and kept goin. Like it was earlier mention grade 5 or 8 would be a good idea for the bolts. Mistakes are done to learn from so now you're even smarter !!!
Be careful removing the head that can be an owee
dickr

Back