A36 Steel. New Mill 1st Cuts. Hss? Carbide?

I never place an order without adding a couple of cutters, I check to see what I have the least of or want to add. And I have a small machine if I had a big machine I would need even more cutters.
Jim I'm with you on the Machinist thing. I'm more of a hog it out till it works guy. well maybe not that bad.
Mark

I much prefer Electron flow personally, but this is such a fun hobby/craft that to learn! Thanks all. I bought some chip breakers from Melin/Amazon. US based and US owned and Operated. Trying to always buy US when I can. then someone miss keyed a price on 3/4 coated CB type for $15 on Amazon....(I think they should be $51) I bought 2 of the 3 in stock :) And the 5/8" for $37.

Will still plan on trying a single area clear of 3 today w/ this 4 flute un-coated.

Could you share some insight on DOC and WOC values and SFm's you'd suggest ?
Not enough info supplied on your machining conditions and machine or the size of the part.

Start with a low feed rate and if it runs well start bumping up the feed overide, if the spindle speed seems off, wait until it is in a non cutting move and feed hold it then adjust the speed.

That was easy enough! The 30taper is a Huge improvement over the hobby mill. I did take the full .125 depth and a .15 cutover (if I recall)... That was like popping thru butter as someone noted. Chips coming off were fine on 581 RPM and 5.5IPM 95SFM and .0024 IPT. Nice!!!! Could easily take more but it's' our maiden voyage! Here's a video!
I get what 'hoggin' feels like now. LOL.

I wonder how well she'll do w/ 1045 steel and the kids axe cuts?

Your video is set to private, so we can't see it.

That's cool! Looks like it works. That's a pretty stable machine, it will make piles of chips in a hurry.

I pulled out the Rougher to see what it looked like. This anything to worry about? It obviously mushed over swarf and packed it into the non-center cutting middle.

endmillmush.JPG

I was able to pop it all out w/ a small pointed awl type tip. ;-) Sorry to keep dragging this post on and on, but it's all about learning and learning and then teaching and Mentoring. ;-)

Last edited:
I am not able to pop it out at all. bummer... did I ruin a less than 12hour old endMill? ;-(

I think the problem is that you were plunging with a non-centercutting end mill, and a lack of coolant.

There are three ways around this.

One of course is to use a centercutting end mill, but end mills really don't like to be drill bits, they tend to walk a bit.

Another is to use a 15 degree lead-in move on the cut, ramp the Z-cut down into the work as the X/Y is moving, thus the end mill is not plunging straight down. This is normally an option in the CAD software.

One of my favorite tricks is to drill a hole at the plunge point almost to the target depth, using a drill or a center cutting 2-flute end mill.

A mist coolant system will be helpful also.

Reactions: DMS
Back