A word on progress

Longest Acme is only around 48".
As she is at least 10" to short I didn't check the pitch.
Sorry I'd hoped to save you heaps of $!

Daryl
MN

Longest Acme is only around 48".
As she is at least 10" to short I didn't check the pitch.
Sorry I'd hoped to save you heaps of $!

Daryl
MN

That's OK! Thanks for taking the time to check it out for me. I may try cutting off the bent end and graft on an new piece and
see if I make that work. If not I will go to plan B.

Burt

I rebuilt the crossfeed on a 16" lathe.
Cut off the old bent one and TIGd the new one on.
After she cooled I'd measure her for straight on the surface plate.
Mark where she needed a tweak. Then hit her with a little heat from the TIG torch.
As you know the metal moves toward the heat. Let her very slowly cool and do it over again.
Got her within a few .001 over 12inches.

Daryl
MN

I rebuilt the crossfeed on a 16" lathe.
Cut off the old bent one and TIGd the new one on.
After she cooled I'd measure her for straight on the surface plate.
Mark where she needed a tweak. Then hit her with a little heat from the TIG torch.
As you know the metal moves toward the heat. Let her very slowly cool and do it over again.
Got her within a few .001 over 12inches.

Daryl
MN

Daryl,

I just built a cross feed shaft on my Springfield lathe about a month ago. It was worn beyond salvaging. The project started with a
piece of cold roll and I made acme threads using the Monarch and a steady rest. That turned out pretty good. Today,
I tweaked on the Gorton X feed rod and now it is pretty straight except for the last foot that is not threaded. I may try the
torch method and see how it goes. It all works fine until I tighten up the end bearing and then it starts to bind. So if the torch
doesn't get it straight, I will cut off the shaft and machine up a new end for it. I have a surface plate but with such a long rod,
it is very difficult to determine where to tweak. If you put it on vee blocks on the ends, that doesn't work either. Also the rod
is very stiff so it doesn't bend easily. Here's a photo to give you an idea of what the end of the shaft looks like. The casting
was broken by the scrappers along with the bent feed rod. I would think I could put the shaft in the lathe and cut it off and
machine a straight end piece and pin it on with some tapered pins or roll pins maybe or possibly even silver solder. The shaft that mates to the bearing area and the cast iron bracket has to
be concentric with the rest of the shaft to not bind .
Let me know what you think. Thanks.

View media item 96551

Evidently, I've only got the y and handwheels.
Sorry.
Daryl
MN

IMG_1417.JPG

I've no idea. Pile of misc.
To bad the casting won't work for you!

Daryl
MN

I've no idea. Pile of misc.
To bad the casting won't work for you!

Daryl
MN
Daryl,

That is probably off of the 8-1/2 D mill that guy had. He had both a 8-1/2D and the 9J mill that was in the fire.

Ken

Nice work Cathead!!
Sorry to offer you these after the you put in the hours.

If you want one or both of these, let me know.
I didn't know they were from a Gorton.
Anything else you need. I may have additional unidentified stuff....

Daryl
MN
View attachment 232503
Cathead, You better grab both of these if you haven't already done so. They are untainable!!!

Ken

That would have been Ken. These could have been from his stuff.
So much went to scrap. He had multiple dismantled machines. When we arrived all the parts were commingled.
Several truck loads were sold with any/all profit to the family.

Daryl
MN

Back