A Source(s) For Machining / Learning To Use A Metal Lathe

TonyL

Registered
Registered
Well, I thought living in North GA would present me with many hands-on learning opportunities, there few that I can find. There are plenty of online courses and books, but I doubt they will serve as a substitute. Any ideas, sources, excellent videos would be high appreciated. I will continue my search in the meantime. Thank you!

South Bend "How to run a lathe" is a good start.

Lots of YouTube channels showcase machine work, some of the top contributors are:

Oxtoolco

Suburban Tool

Abom79

Bar z industrial

Metal Tips and Tricks

Mark Elecquer (last name misspelled, for sure!)

(and many others)

Forums, such as this one are a good place to ask questions.

Many vintage training films might also be of interest to you.

Thank you. I am presently surprised by the number of videos out there. I guess by the time I find a hands-on class, I will know what the parts are called and how to keep all of my fingers.

You might also try MrPete222 on YouTube. He's a retired shop teacher that has made lots of videos aimed at beginners and hobbyists.

John

There's also a pretty good series on YouTube put out by MIT TechTV. About a dozen instructional videos on machine shop basics. Lathe work starts with video number 8, I believe.

And don't overlook TubalCain, aka MrPete. Hundreds of shop videos, many on lathe use, and if you want there's even a How to Run a Lathe video course that he put together.

Sorry I can't put the links directly in here, I'm still foiled by the iPad in that regard at times! You can search them easily, though.

-frank

Also, Dan Gelbart has a very nice 18 episode prototyping video series.

Goggle AGI and check them out. I think it is American Gun Institute. They have a machinist course that covers lathe, mill and a few other machines. I used the lathe and mill course, comes in CD format and starts from ground zero. Very good course and will teach you how to run the lathe. This along with the other resources mentioned above will get you started down the road. After your done with the machinist course, put it on Ebay and sale. That is what I did and got most of my money back.

I saw MIT and I sent agi a question this after noon. Thank you for the links go ing to watch some now

Back