A Quest For An Aluminum Plate

I understand your comments, but this is the style of plate, I've used for the last 30+ yrs. You use what work for you.

so here is the 12" x 24"x 1/2" aluminum plate, with (126) 3/8"-16 and (127) 1/2"-13 threaded holes, I do need: to run the 1/8" roll over bit, in the router to cleanup the sharp edges

.fixture plate 006x.jpg

I love my fixture plate as allows me to put dowel pins in for easy setups and locating jigs. I have had the occasions of needing to add holes but like others have said, I just add them in those in-between places when needed.

TaigGrindingViseStop2.jpg

here are a couple of the old steel plates I have been working with

plates 3 001x.jpg plates 3 005x.jpg

I had a fixture plate that had 1/2 - 13 holes every 2 inches and slip fit dowel holes in between in both directions. A couple dowels and I could put something on all squared up already against the pins and then clamp it down.

Wreck it's not any different from the variety of tombstones available for machining centers. It can greatly aid fixture designers when they know that holes they place will allow their fixtures to be set up easily and painlessly. Many have dowel holes to aid in alignment. While it may not give such advantages in a home/hobby shop, there certainly is justification for it in a production or many job shops. So whatever works for someone, no one stops them. It's their shop and their time.

I set the plate up on the Rockwell milling machine, to machine a Saab 2 stroke cylinder head, to repair spark plug threads, and clean up the exhaust manifold. I spent the time to locate and attach the plate to the mill table, then had to reinstall the milling vise for a quick job.

plate 4 009x.jpg plate 4 006x.jpg

I really needed to see this picture I have a piece of thick aluminum that I was going to build another bench with I think it would be better anchored to the top of my mill. Thanks

Back