A Light Weight Free Pistol Project.

Baithog

Florida Machinist Group Moderator
Registered
The end goal is to make a free pistol of my own design, but having never machined a pistol before; I am going to copy a commercial receiver as a base. So I’m sorta modifying a production pistol design, but I am also remaking it along the way. The non-firing prototype frame will be 6061 T6 aluminum. The final version will be 7075 T6/651 aluminum. If anyone should choose to copy my design, they do so at their own risk and after making their own calculations. I will not be holding the finished pistol in my hand for its test firing, and neither should anyone when first firing a new design. I do not intend to publish the prototype or shop drawings, just to make sure that I am not blindly followed by someone that doesn’t understand the design.
TozReceiver.jpg

The original receiver was made from a single block of steel. I am doing the same in aluminum, partly to save weight and partly because I can. I have toyed with the idea of the Jaco route with a side plate, but there isn’t much room in the breach area for screws, and beefing things up to make use of a side plate kinda defeats any weight savings gained from using aluminum. To do it from a single billet requires a small, deep pocket, approximately ½” wide by 1.5” long, and 2” deep. Try as I might, I can’t seem to get the walls of the pocket smooth without resorting to file and sand paper. I am fighting rigidity of the machine and vibration and deflection of a long cutter.

I started out mimicking the method used to open the mag well on a 0% AR lower, 1/8 inch holes in the corners, drill out the center, then finish removing material with an end mill.
AluminumTestReceiver3.jpg
The problem in my smaller pocket is getting an end mill that would reach to the bottom. The longest ¼” mill that I could find would only go 1 ¾” deep. That meant that I would have to machine half way down from the top, then flip the receiver over and cut the lower half. My DRO on the mill made lining up the two pockets possible, but there were still problems. Vibration and cutter flex left a less than stellar wall. surface. I tried a couple of strategies. The one that worked the best was to skip the 1/8” holes, drill out the center, rough mill to just over ½ depth with a shorter ¼” cutter, then form the corners and finish the sides with a 1/8” carbide cutter. The carbide cutter has a shank the same diameter as the flutes, so it will reach all the way down if you only take off a few mills per pass.

The receiver was bored and threaded on the lathe. The barrel thread is ½-20 for ¾”. The tenon length TBD once the bolt is fabricated.
AluminumTestReceiver2.jpg

All previous machining was done on the manual mill because it is much more rigid than the X2 CNC. Profiling lent itself better to CNC. The angles and arcs made it worthwhile to invest time into programming. As usual, there was an exciting event under program control. The CAM program didn’t know about the clamps holding the work piece down. It tried to cut one of the clamp bars. This is the setup with the test part under the cutter, with the damaged clamp in front. I have never understood the people that insist that the plastic gears in the X2 are flimsy. This isn’t the first time that I have made a programming mistake.
IMG_1147.JPG
Below is the prototype receiver. Only a little more corner rounding and the pin hole reaming needs to be done.
AluminumTestReceiver.jpg And now to see if the stock internal parts fit and operate.
IMG_1146.JPG

The block rotates, the firing pin cocks and releases. Next I need to fabricate the bolt.

The end goal is to make a free pistol of my own design, but having never machined a pistol before; I am going to copy a commercial receiver as a base. So I’m sorta modifying a production pistol design, but I am also remaking it along the way. The non-firing prototype frame will be 6061 T6 aluminum. The final version will be 7075 T6/651 aluminum. If anyone should choose to copy my design, they do so at their own risk and after making their own calculations. I will not be holding the finished pistol in my hand for its test firing, and neither should anyone when first firing a new design. I do not intend to publish the prototype or shop drawings, just to make sure that I am not blindly followed by someone that doesn’t understand the design.
View attachment 108137

The original receiver was made from a single block of steel. I am doing the same in aluminum, partly to save weight and partly because I can. I have toyed with the idea of the Jaco route with a side plate, but there isn’t much room in the breach area for screws, and beefing things up to make use of a side plate kinda defeats any weight savings gained from using aluminum. To do it from a single billet requires a small, deep pocket, approximately ½” wide by 1.5” long, and 2” deep. Try as I might, I can’t seem to get the walls of the pocket smooth without resorting to file and sand paper. I am fighting rigidity of the machine and vibration and deflection of a long cutter.

I started out mimicking the method used to open the mag well on a 0% AR lower, 1/8 inch holes in the corners, drill out the center, then finish removing material with an end mill.
View attachment 108138
The problem in my smaller pocket is getting an end mill that would reach to the bottom. The longest ¼” mill that I could find would only go 1 ¾” deep. That meant that I would have to machine half way down from the top, then flip the receiver over and cut the lower half. My DRO on the mill made lining up the two pockets possible, but there were still problems. Vibration and cutter flex left a less than stellar wall. surface. I tried a couple of strategies. The one that worked the best was to skip the 1/8” holes, drill out the center, rough mill to just over ½ depth with a shorter ¼” cutter, then form the corners and finish the sides with a 1/8” carbide cutter. The carbide cutter has a shank the same diameter as the flutes, so it will reach all the way down if you only take off a few mills per pass.

The receiver was bored and threaded on the lathe. The barrel thread is ½-20 for ¾”. The tenon length TBD once the bolt is fabricated.
View attachment 108139

All previous machining was done on the manual mill because it is much more rigid than the X2 CNC. Profiling lent itself better to CNC. The angles and arcs made it worthwhile to invest time into programming. As usual, there was an exciting event under program control. The CAM program didn’t know about the clamps holding the work piece down. It tried to cut one of the clamp bars. This is the setup with the test part under the cutter, with the damaged clamp in front. I have never understood the people that insist that the plastic gears in the X2 are flimsy. This isn’t the first time that I have made a programming mistake.
View attachment 108141
Below is the prototype receiver. Only a little more corner rounding and the pin hole reaming needs to be done.
View attachment 108142 And now to see if the stock internal parts fit and operate.
View attachment 108143

The block rotates, the firing pin cocks and releases. Next I need to fabricate the bolt.
Where did you get the original plans. I'd like to do a similar project

Very nice! Is that a Toz 35 you started with? I'll be subscribed to this thread for sure.

Be warned though, the receiver is the part of the firearm known to the BATF as "the gun". Replace it and you've build a new firearm, I assume in Florida making a rifle is fine but since this is a pistol, make sure you have the correct ATF forms.

Very nice! Is that a Toz 35 you started with? I'll be subscribed to this thread for sure.

Be warned though, the receiver is the part of the firearm known to the BATF as "the gun". Replace it and you've build a new firearm, I assume in Florida making a rifle is fine but since this is a pistol, make sure you have the correct ATF forms.
You can make your own firearms for your own use (except full automatics). As long as you do not transfer it to anyone else you're exempt from ATF regulation.

That is correct

You can make your own firearms for your own use (except full automatics). As long as you do not transfer it to anyone else you're exempt from ATF regulation.

Just to clarify, all NFA items are the exception

Edit, again sorry. To be more clear 'machine guns' (full auto) are the only absolute exception. You can build your own NFA items, other than MGs, (AOW, SBR, SBS, suppressor) with the proper paperwork and appropriate tax stamp. Subject to local laws of course and provided you are able, under the law, to possess a firearm.

Didn't want my short responses to be unclear.
Stan,
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
John is correct. Do a search for "AR15 80% lower". There are quite a few people building, or at least trying to build their own. Of course, if you don't know what an NFA firearm is, you probably shouldn't take up gun building as a hobby. And if you live in certain states, you might have a local problem.

---------------------------

I am using the TOZ-35 as the model for this effort. I have a TOZ, so I can use the factory gun as a sanity check when fitting parts. I am part way through with profiling the bolt and should be able to post some pictures of the partial completion in a day or two. It is kind of a weird shape, with an interesting firing pin. The barrel and operating lever should be your average firearm type job, but the fire control group is another matter. It is a single phase, lever set, set trigger with a pull weight of 50 - 150 grams. Yep, that is grams.

For those of us unfamiliar with our government's restrictions, (myself, at least) tell us about NFA? I might want to build something, just for fun and really don't want ATF's attention.

It is always best to get the answer directly from the ATF. They provide a lot of information on how to avoid unpleasant experiences. As far as NFA goes, short barreled rifles, sawed off shotguns, fully automatic weapons and conversion parts, bombs, and such. Many NFA weapons can be owned and/or made with the proper application, fees, and procedures. The NFA handbook is at https://www.atf.gov/firearms/national-firearms-act-handbook

It also seems that you can transfer ownership of a home made firearm. I am not planning to do any such thing soon, so I have not spent much time looking into it. As I understand it, the home built has to be transferred through a licensed gunsmith so that a record of its existence is created and a serial number gets attached to the arm. The other thing you have to avoid is turning yourself into a 'manufacturer'. If I should develop tremors and have to give up shooting, I can get away with transferring my home built free pistol to my nephew. If I made 20 of them and gave them to the free pistol competitors at the local gun club, then I could expect a visit by the people that want to review my manufacturing paperwork.

There is also a potential problem with doing machining for a friend, especially if you are licensed. The 80% AR10/15 builds are not difficult for a competent machinist. The ATF is concerned about groups getting together at a machine shop to make a firearm that they could not have made on their own. The idea is that you are making a firearm for yourself, not doing all the hard work for someone else.

My understanding of this may be completely erroneous, and the ATF could change its mind on how to interpret things at any time. Our current gun averse president was just thwarted in an attempt to make certain firearms unusable by restricting access to ammunition. The ATF could have done so by making that ammunition an NFA item. You need to do your own research and keep informed if you want to play in the branch of machining.

As I understand it, the home built has to be transferred through a licensed gunsmith so that a record of its existence is created and a serial number gets attached to the arm.
I don't think that is true under Federal law, though some states may require it. I think that under Federal law you can give your homemade gun to your nephew without restriction as long as you made it without any intention of transferring it.

Well answered Baithog.

"...the ATF could change its mind on how to interpret things at any time..."

Truer words....

Stan,
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back