A good CNC lathe with live tooling capability?

Jake2465

Registered
Registered
Come spring or summer time I will probably be in the market for a used CNC lathe to help round out my shop. I have really only messed with CNC mills and I don't know much about CNC lathe manufactures and which ones to worry about or go with. One thing I would really like to have is live tooling on the turret, but I guess there are different types of turrets and mounting systems with some being more common than others. Any ideas?

I see some Haas lathes out there for sale . Not top quality but they seem to be in a lot of local shops . Older Okumas are around also . Doosan commands the big bucks and are top notch . I know you can pick up on some nicer Hardinges off of Ebay also . The live tooling options are where the money comes in to play .

If I could ever find a running Makino Count 15 with a Fanuc OMC I would snap it up in a heartbeat ! ;)

Those Fanuc controls look like they would be a bit of a learning curve. They have a ton of buttons and knobs. One guy I talked to said, "Awwww Jake, it's not that bad. Look, ill show you how to jog the machine". Then he turned this knob and hit about 5 buttons and went into a sub-menu and then opened and closed the doors. After all that, he jogged the machine. I felt like running out the back door, lol.

LOL . The OMC was the easiest I've ever seen . Conversational , full graphics , only a few buttons . There is a member on here that is looking to sell his cnc lathe , I'll see if I can find him . Give me a minute .

Get in touch with lanagos on here if you're serious . I've inquired about his lathe in the past , I know he wants to off it as he has a brand new lathe coming soon .

If he still has it .................Clausing/Colchester Storm 3000 if it means anything to you . The thread has been deleted but I may be able to send it to you .

I sent a message :).

What were some of the features that you liked about it?

Did you get the pm ?

Back