A couple questions about the Model C

You can buy a printed dial on fleabay, or download the file from thingiverse.

I've seen those, and I'm curious about people's experience with them. I have a 3D printer and a couple rolls of filament sitting around, so it's not a stretch to get one started. Are they durable enough to last through normal usage? Is there a filament type that works better than others?

I mostly print in PLA, but I have spools of ABS and PETG I've been meaning to experiment on. If one of those is a better choice it'll give me a reason to get back to dialing in my settings

Or you could just try straightening it while in the cover.
but first ask yourself “Do I Feel Lucky?
Did your SB9C come with change gears & a thread dial?
Really.. lets be a little more dramatic! If the pin is whats bent then I agree with removing pin. My last two 9a's had the arm of the cover bent. And YES I did straighten/bend them back.

Mine was printed with PLA+, I believe.
You only need to make a shaft and get some set screws to complete.

What temperature does babbitt melt at? I was thinking whether or not to hit it with a torch before I started bending it, I would have felt like a real idiot if things started melting unexpectedly.

It's lower than lead -more like a hard solder. It ranges from about 425ºF to 475ºF. Catch the old stuff in an old tuna can so that you can reuse it.

It's lower than lead -more like a hard solder. It ranges from about 425ºF to 475ºF. Catch the old stuff in an old tuna can so that you can reuse it.
Thanks! I'll keep that in mind. My 2 year old woke up early from his nap, so there was no time for fireworks. I just popped it in the vice, got a little extra leverage, and nudged the pin back into place. No cracks, no fractures, and everything lines up like it ought to
I'm two posts in, and I'm already seeing parallels. I've also got a non-original motor, not wired to run in reverse. Looking forward to see where it takes you.

Really.. lets be a little more dramatic! If the pin is whats bent then I agree with removing pin. My last two 9a's had the arm of the cover bent. And YES I did straighten/bend them back.
I guess that joke fell on deaf ears, my bad.
i guess everybody hasn’t heard of Dirty Harry.
cheers

Thank you all so much for your replies, it was all really helpful. So helpful, in fact, that I have more questions. I don't know if the motor I have in the lathe is original, but I know for sure the wiring isnt.PXL_20220731_153515317.jpg
GE Model 5KC47AB490DX, 1/4hp, single phase.
PXL_20220731_153446077~3.jpg
There's no wiring diagram on the motor. It's currently wired for single direction, with an On/Off toggle. I've tried looking online for documentation, but no luck.

Is it possible to wire this for forward/reverse? Would I need a drum switch, and if so how would I wire it? And maybe more importantly, is it safe to keep running this motor with all that cloth wrapped wiring in there?

To fix the slight droop on my 9a, I used a piece of 3/8 rubber gas line. Slit the inside curve with a razor blade and slide it on the thin gear cover. Keeps the hole centered and reduces vibration noise.

Back