A bending question

End result: A vise and a hammer did the job well enough, and got it done today, When I went to buy the nuts, I realized that they'd be too tall of they were welded on --- in the original, they're actually rounded off for the bottom 3/16" and then pressed into a 9/16 hole in the piece. So I've got a little more machining to do tomorrow. :(

Thanks again to everyone for all the suggestions.

I make offset bends like that in a vise with two pieces of bar stock. The thickness of the bar stock is equal to the amount of offset. I make up a sandwich of the three pieces , allowing enough material for the bends and tighten the vise. Not quite as precise as what @Parlo is suggesting but the same effect and quick and dirty. Having the hydraulic press will make the job easier.

I wouldn't use JB Weld alone for fixing the blind nut. If you ever have to remove the fastener, it will break loose and if you haven't access to the nut , it can ruin your day. If you have access to the nut, just forget the JB. If not , a captive nut would be preferred. Another approach could be to mill a shalow groove, the width of the nut flats to prevent the nut from rotating. JB can then be used for holding the nut in place.
See my note above --- turns out I need to press it into the bent piece. :( I actually DO have really bad access to the nuts, so if the JB weld broke, I'd have been OK, but NOT having the use that access in general is enough of a pain that something like the JB approach seemed like a Good Idea. But, as it turns out, it's moot. :)

Back