A $7.00 Power Hack Saw

bosephus

Registered
Registered
The second Tuesday of every month is the Rogers Ohio machinery and junk auction .
Most months I try to ignore it and forget it's there .... it's to easy to bring home cheap junk I don't need . It usually helps that I don't always have money to spend .

But yesterday my "friend " stops by and asks if I wAnt to ride along and check out the junk show ... he was looking to maybe come home with a new used rototiller .

Not having anything better to do I rode along .... and came home with a peerless power hack saw for my troubles for the whopping price of $7.00

Now you might ask yourself do I need a power hacksaw .. nope I sure don't . But ... and there's always that but .
It was in to nice a shape to let the scrap guys buy it and haul it off .

It's pretty much complete and in working condition ... it doesn't have any factory provisions for a motor so I think it's pretty safe to assume it was originally a line shaft machine
And I have some real doubts that it has seen any real prolonged used in a shop environment. I just can't find much wear on it any where .

Maybe once I get over the shock of having to crack open my piggy bank and use a hand full of quarters to pay for it ill figure out what its going to take to mount a motor and make it work again .uploadfromtaptalk1466028167962.jpg

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Another nice Peerless and it's in far better condition than saws that most of us find.
Gotta do a lot of repair work to get mine running.
Very jealous--- You Suck
I never get "you suck", just a lot of cast iron that needs repairs.
Jim

Thank you sir ..

Other then mounting a motor somehow and getting it working at a reasonable speed I don't think It needs much of any repair at all . .. if I find anything I'll let you know . ( yea I know it's rude to gloat )
The previous owner was even so kind as to make it mobile uploadfromtaptalk1466030513843.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1466030526398.jpg

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

I go to the flee market once or twice a year enjoy the hell out of it . You did well congrats.
You almost could have walked from where you live . I just noticed Lisbon.

It's humid and hot .. so I decided to sit down and figure out how to power this thing .

First thing is .... I know I will need to add a Jack shaft or come up with a slow motor .

but with a Jack shaft and a 1750 motor this is what I come up with ... and someone please check my math .

Ok with a 2" motor pulley to a 10 inch Jack shaft pulley I get A 1:5 ratio with the Jack shaft spinning @ 351.6 rpm .

then with a 2" pulley to a 12" pulley
@ 1:6 ratio I end up with the saw @ 58.6 rpm
Uhmm I think that's correct and 58.6 strokes per minute seems like a reasonable speed to me

That is a nice piece. Wish they had something like that down here, But then I would always be broke. Well I'm almost always broke anyway.
Again nice score.

great score! i'd have paid a lot more than $7 for a work of art like that.

David
the next time you go to the Friday sale you'll have to let me know , I live pretty near Rogers .. less then three miles .

Back