9X20 Jet Lathe after 3 years

The first thing I thought when I read that review is that the author has no idea about lathes (or machining in general) and to make matters worse it sounds to me like English isn't his (or her) native language.

Aub you do need to take notice of both good and bad reviews before you make up your mind, but good or bad the review is fairly irrelevant if the author doesn't know what he/she is talking about. I won't pretend to be an expert (not even close) but I've learnt enough in the time I've had my 9x20 to know it's a good thing for hobby use.

Rick your assumption is correct, I'm very happy with my 9x20.

I would like to thank everyone for their views of the 9x20 and their opinions of negative reviews that may not be completely valid. I'm thinking that someone more experienced may have dealt with the problems much more easily.
The fact that a Dealer allows these negative reviews to remain posted on their websites says something to the sincerity of their effort to have happy customers. It does worry me though that I will have have such a lathe shipped many hundreds of miles and may have to return it.
That thought however, will not deter me if I decide to go with the 9x20.

Happy New Year to all.

Aub

Wow, I had a Jet 9 X 20 lathe for about 1 year and a half when I started my shop in 2004. I was doing job shop work on it and all I was destroying it, so I sold it before I ruined it. I still miss it. I bought it new in 2003 and I think I paid about $1,300.00 for it. Now I wish I still had it.

I guess I'll just have to buy another one.

Last edited:
i think it was 2005 when i bought my 9x20 and i have to say it has had a very tough life. I purchased the lathe never knowing how to use it and the care required to maintain it. it was like driving a car and never changing the oil. it has served me very well with few repairs besides occasional belts. i have to admit i did not lube my lathe the way it is supposed to be lubed and all the repairs i did were my fault. this machine needs constant lube. any time your not using the feed drop it out of gear. the leadscrew will wear out the worm gear bracket if not constantly lubed. once i got into lubing before and during every use my problems were solved. it is tired now and being stripped of all gearing to be made into a cnc lathe. but it will still make fine parts. I have replaced it with a larger 11x26 lathe because i wanted a larger lathe. if i would not of gotten a good deal on the 11x26 i would have purchased another 9x20 with no worry because i know how to care for it and use it properly now.
the 9x20 requires a firm mount on a level surface the machine will not stay accurate without it. so if something seems wrong check the level before adjusting anything. i chased that monkey once and the problem was my wood bench had sunk in in the middle. and i had to return everything i moved back to where it was. in my opinion it is a good lathe for home use and can give many years to the right owner.
i hope my new 11x26 lives up to my 9x20.
steve

That's odd, mine shows none of those traits. What is, was the make of your 9x20??? Sorry Steve, I keep forgetting mine is far from original. :lmao:

"Billy G" :whistle:

That's odd, mine shows none of those traits. What is, was the make of your 9x20??? Sorry Steve, I keep forgetting mine is far from original. :lmao:

"Billy G" :whistle:

I bought mine from harbor freight for 900.00 not on sale, it is 999.00 right now from wholesale tools
steve

Mine is a 1994 G400 model from Grizzly I bought new in 95. The motor is a Reliant, built in Chicago back then and I wonder if all the rest of it, gears, castings, etc came from china or maybe some parts from tiawan? (which is in the republic of china)

Back