8520 owners: MT2 to ER25 Collet Adapter

Interesting. I wish that the Type B had been more common around here. Converting them is going to be a PITA. What I meant was that I don't trust the tanged type. I have full sets of 2MT, 3MT, 3AT and 5C collets but if I had a full set of the drawbar and set screw type milling cutter holders, I would probably use them most of the time. As I don't, I usually use the Atlas set with reducing bushings if I have the end mills with shank diameters to fit. If I don't, I generally use the 3MT collets. I'm talking about in the Atlas 3996, of course. I don't have the MFA up and running yet. But when I do, the only difference will be 2MT instead of 3MT.

Gotcha. Well, Grizzly has them here. They're probably the same ones I have. Asian made, most likely, but they work fine for me. It's nice not having to worry about loosening collets to change end mills (same shank size, of course) and I've never had an end mill pull out like I had with a collet.

It's odd that they skip 1/4", 5/16" and 7/16" which are common shank diameters for 1/32" and 1/64" increment end mills. Guess that I'll proceed with my plan to mod the tanged ones I have.

Robert D.

I may have said this before but my mt3 er32 collet holder is probably the most benificial item i have purchased for speeding up mill work.

i have a round coloum mill and its very helpfull that i dont have to raise and lower the head very often when switching from mills to drills.

also i dont have to pound on the draw bar all the time to change cutters :)

another benefit is the seamless holding range from 2-20mm so i can use both metric and imperial end mills no problem.

On the other subject passing stock through the collets, i unfortunetly dont have an er collet chuck but have made a hollow draw bar for my MT3 collets that i use ocasionaly on my lathe, very limited in pass through as the wall gets quite thin, i think 8mm is the max i can pass through the collet.

Stuart

Since picking up some endmill holders (one of which is a Bison I got a deal on) I'm starting to really like them over using collets to hold endmills, fly cutters, etc.. Unless I'm mistaken I'm getting more rigidity and better cuts.

I just recently purchased a MT2 to Er32 collet set for my 8520 and am very happy with the set up. ER32 will run up to a 3/4" collet which allows for some larger end mills. I have some 1 1/16" end mills with 3/4" shanks.

I just recently purchased a MT2 to Er32 collet set for my 8520 and am very happy with the set up. ER32 will run up to a 3/4" collet which allows for some larger end mills. I have some 1 1/16" end mills with 3/4" shanks.

That's great news. Thanks for the update.

Back