8520 Finally far enough along to use

Zertsman

Registered
Registered
With the help of some great advice and gracious offers, I have my 8520 far enough along to actually start using.

TouchDRO working great although I still need to add to the quill scale. TouchDRO is awesome!
IMG_20220205_152807326.jpg

These scales were mounted here before but were not cut to length. They were bent and damaged and not aligned.
I was able to use most all the existing mounting blocks and cut them to length. Y and Z are mounted only from one end.
I put the X scale on the back of the table. Cost me a bit of travel, but I like it here out of the way. Still need to mount a guard over the top of it. I have a few other things here to button up, but it is functioning.
IMG_20220205_152919086.jpg

I also have the treadmill motor on and working really well with the controller from the treadmill. Wanted variable speed.
IMG_20220205_152850292.jpg
Strut clamps make a great mount with wooden saddles. This is very solid.
Now, will the motor have enough torque? Time will tell. I still have the AC motor that came with it if not.
I stuck the treadmill motor controls and power shutoff, Tach and some plugs to power other things in a .50 cal ammo can with extra plugs on the back for power.
I have a place for a Forward Reverse switch, but the one I have is only rated for 12VDC and my motor is 130VDC. Need to make sure I get one big enough.
The previous owner had a huge drum switch mounted here that was just almost as tall as this ammo can.
IMG_20220205_152814893.jpg

Since my brake doesn't work, I partially sunk a magnet in the bottom of the pulley held on with a screw in the center. This is mostly aligned with the brake lever opening. This was a perfect place to mount the sensor and keep the wire away from the belt. The threaded hole for the retaining screw for the brake could be another mounting point for the sensor to save drilling anymore holes in such a wonderful machine.
IMG_20220205_152829299.jpg

I still have some harness dressing and things to tend to, but so far so good, I think.
I'd love to hear thoughts and ideas.
I just do this for fun, so my requirements are quite flexible and cost sensitive.

I like the ammo can idea and the tachometer pickup solution. I also use the link belts on my 8530. I bought one of these for my machine, https://www.ebay.com/itm/302896738366, fits the spindle correctly and works great. Unique DRO mount, kool.

I love the ring light. Still thinking about it.

I think the link belts add noise. I can hear each segment contact and then leave the pullies. Course, they are still quite new and may wear in. Happy to be at a point where I can use it.

nice! I am in the process of adding a DC motor and MC-60 motor controller to my 8520. Looks like I bought the same RPM setup too...How did you power it?? Needs 8-12VDC if I recall.

I think you'll like the segmented belt in time.

Whats your motor RPM range? Was thinking of sizing the motor pulley appropriately to nix the "intermediate" pulley on the stock setup and run a direct drive if the rpm range works out.

My motor says 130V DC, so the controller puts out that much. I used the stock power cord from the same treadmill to hook it all up. All powered by 110V AC. the MC-60 board converts it to DC. You'll need a 5k potentiometer. There are lots of videos and they all give the same instruction. I got my parts from a treadmill someone was getting rid of. Some of the motors were small, but I got lucky and got a big one. I'm not sure the HP rating is the same as the AC motor I replaced.. it's calculated differently based on it's use. Being a small mill, I think it'll be ok.

My only issue is I want to make it reversable and am struggling to educate myself enough to pick a switch. My motor mount covers up the Amps on the nameplate. I should have taken a picture of that before putting it together

My motor says 130V DC, so the controller puts out that much. I used the stock power cord from the same treadmill to hook it all up.

My only issue is I want to make it reversable and am struggling to educate myself enough to pick a switch. My motor mount covers up the Amps on the nameplate. I should have taken a picture of that before putting it together

I was referring to the RPM sensor as far as the voltage source. My controller has 12 volts going to the potentiometer so thats a potential source for the rpm box.

Mine has a pretty standard household DPDT (double pole/double throw) switch capable of 120V...prob can find one at your local hardware store. Middle two poles wired to the motor for DC +/-...polarity can be either way. One side of the outer two poles come from the controller, then jumper across (caddycorner) to get the opposite polarity for reverse.

Attachments

• Switch.jpg
    Switch.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 7
I cut the end off a 12V wall wart I had laying around. I found one that was supposed to be 9, but was only putting out 6 and that wasn't enough.

I have 2 outlets on the back side of the ammo can, one has USB power for my tablet, Touch DRO, RPM and LED work light.

I have a switch, but not sure it is rated highly enough. I hear they have short lives if they are too small. I mainly want it to go forward anyway so it's not that big a deal. None of my equipment is good enough for power tapping, although I do have a few left-hand bits for problem solving. The ammo can cover pops off quickly and I can reverse the motor leads if I must.

I have 2 control boards, one of which doesn't work. With no spares, I want to be careful.

Treadmills are harder to find since lockdowns have put 20 pounds on everyone.. including me.

Back