833 vise

magu

Registered
Registered
As I get closer to having my mill functional (not sitting on some 2x6s on an engine hoist), I've started looking at vises and was wondering what size others have gone with and if they would make the same choice again?

I went with a Kurt 6” it’s big and heavy, but fits my 833TV fine. I have not had issues with work envelope yet, but I assume I’m losing a bit of z over a 4”. Don’t regret my choice.

I’m using two 4” Shars. They have a large opening. I bought some oversized Monster jaws to use when necessary.

Last edited:
I have a 5" shars Tegara. I think it's the right size for the mill. I would think 6" is too large, and 4" too small. The shars Tegara is a nice vise, my only gripe is it will rust if you look at it. Here's the only photo I have showing scale at the time.

Attachments

• PXL_20210407_002618176~2.jpg
    PXL_20210407_002618176~2.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 122
I have the PM "High Precision" 5 inch vise. I like the size, but not very impressed with the vise itself. I have not done an accurate analysis of how far it is off, but I have a shim under one side to bring it to parallel with the mill table.
I would go for the GMT one...

Thank you all for your replies, I suppose I should have said in the first post that I've been leaning towards the Shars Tegara. Sounds like 5" is a good size, I don't know that I will exceed the capacity ever or at least often enough to justify the extra bulk of the 6".

I have the PM "High Precision" 5 inch vise. I like the size, but not very impressed with the vise itself. I have not done an accurate analysis of how far it is off, but I have a shim under one side to bring it to parallel with the mill table.
This seems to be a common sentiment about their accessories. In buying only a mill my experience has been a bit of a mixed bag to be honest.

On my previous 9 x 32 I had a Kurt 6", but I liked the 4" Glacern better,
the Kurt is big.

I had been interested in the glacern vise, but they seem a bit sketchy. Any googling of them seems to result on nobody knowing whose designs belong to whom, and they don't say anything anywhere about where their vises are made. I don't mind import products, but prefer people be straight forward when representing their products.

So, my post above was wrong. I have two 4" Shars vises, the 440v. They open darned wide which is the only reason I bought them. No other 4" or even 5" really opens this large. With longer/larger jaws they can work like a 5". I've never actually had a need for anything larger on my 833TV.

Attachments

• vise.jpg
    vise.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 100
Back