8" Rotary Table

My only input would be that T slots would be much easier to clean than blind holes. T slots are also much move versatile in set-ups. I don't see an advantage of holes over slots but I have no experience the the model you mentioned.

I have about 10 of those things. Not using them just finding them cheap and add them to my piles. The one you are looking at has the tilt feature AND it has the larger graduated rotary dial. Don’t think I have seen any other features, that one has them all. But every one that I have has faults. The biggest problem is they do not translate from one end to the other without binding, even on the new/mint ones that I have. They still work, but to me, that one fault alone shows there lack of quality. Holes or slots, both should work…Good Luck, Dave.

Thanks Dave. I'll pass on this one and bite the bullet later.
"Buy once...Cry once".

Last edited by a moderator:
I sold one of those 8" XY Palmgren tables for a friend. It was in new old stock condition in the original box from the 1960's and sold for a lot of money. That said, I was less than impressed with the overall quality and sturdiness of the unit. I would only use it for VERY light work on a milling machine. For locating smaller holes for light work on a drill press it would be adequate and useful (poor man's jig borer.) It is not in the same ballpark as a rotary table for a milling machine of the same table size. The one in the picture looks like a newer model, I would check the country of origin as Palmgren is now importing many of its products from Asia. The threaded holes are probably cheaper to manufacture than t-slots. The XY cross slide also uses up lots of headroom on a milling machine and is redundant. I think it is really a drill press tool.

Last edited:
Thanks Bob, appreciate your feedback. Many experienced members here with excellent advice.

my thinking is slots would be better. I just got a R-table but haven't used it yet. With slots you have more versatility on clamping with t-bolts and fingers. Like clamping a 3 jaw chuck or mini pallet on it..

Looks like it has an fixture plate on top of the t slot table

The angle feature seems handy, but as Bob mentioned, I can see how it wouldn't be nearly as rigid as a conventional rotary table. It can be tough making decisions on some of this stuff when you have as little experience with machining as I have. That's why I'm here, sponge like, soaking up as much info as I can. Mike

Back