7x14 to 7x16 Rebuild

@verbotenwhisky

I am NOT buying expensive materials to appease YOUR ideals. If YOU want to pay for that material and send it to me so that I can make spacers from it then YOU are more than welcome to do so. Basically, you either put up the material you want to see used or shut up and butt out.

Oh, and btw, if you know as much as you profess to about 7x headstocks by your statements, you should know full and well that a 7x headstock is not "full of fluid". Enclosed? yes. Full of fluid? not a chance in hell without serious modification.
You know, I was attempting to answer questions. You have been on the attack as though I am making demands of you and apparently you missed the portion of my post where I said "If it were mine, this would be my chosen coarse of action, I personally do not like aluminum parts inside of gear boxes which are enclosed, full of fluid and require disassembly for observation/inspection." You do you boo.

@dabear3428

I have zero problems with you asking relevant questions as it is how we learn. If you do not ask, you do not learn. The only stupid question is the one that is never asked.

As to verbotenwhisky, I may have over-reacted I may not have done, but either way I refuse to spend money on expensive materials to appease another persons ideals or personal dislikes.

Suggestions? fine. Raising questions over a particular choice or a particular matter? also fine.

I should not have to explain my choice of material even though it is based on sound reasoning and planning that only I am privvy to.
I agree and knowing Verbotenwhisky I think you misinterpreted his comment. It’s all good we are all here to share and improve our skills

Agreed your money your time your hobby and I will defend your right to do it however you see fit. In my case I do that and often I’m makeing mistakes but I learn more from a mistake than from doing it right.

Like Verbotenwhisky said “you do boo”

Last edited:
Another small update, whilst I fight to make time to get on with the rebuild..

Chose to purchase a Brushless motor/controller kit over the option I had to hand as a better way forwards. A little pricey, but it will do what I need it to and replacement main boards are available. At least 6 main boards will be acquired as spares for future usage should they be required.

View attachment 487910
Have you purchased this yet?

Have you purchased this yet?

Yup, have it sitting here... The motor case and mounting flange are 4mm too big to fit the motor pocket of the lathe bed and I measured it 3 times. Turns out that the motor case is slightly over the quoted dimensions:bang head: :burned up:

Should have just gone with the 1100w motor I looked at to begin with (which has plenty of clearance clarence!) but got sidetracked by the 1500w option and settled on the 1300w due to costs.

Will either sell the kit, or wait until I get a new drill press and fit it to that instead..

Last edited:
Yup, have it sitting here... The motor case is 3mm too big to fit the motor pocket of the lathe bed :bang head: :burned up:

Should have just gone with the 1100w motor I looked at to begin with but got sidetracked by the 1500w option and settled on the 1300w due to costs.

Will either sell the kit, or wait until I get a new drill press and fit it to that instead..
Well that sucks, but I imagine you're not out much for that type setup.

Might want to look into one of the custom crafter units from Dan.

I have two of them, one for the lathe and one on the mill and everyone who has one loves them. These are tiny to look at so they fit anywhere, but they are powerful as all get out. Near full torque at 399rpm motor speed.

Ill probably be buying another in the future as I'm outfitting another lathe soon.

I have two of them, one for the lathe and one on the mill and everyone who has one loves them. These are tiny to look at so they fit anywhere, but they are powerful as all get out. Near full torque at 399rpm motor speed.

Ill probably be buying another in the future as I'm outfitting another lathe soon.

"Might want to look into one of the custom crafter units from Dan."

Problem is being UK based, my options are somewhat limited plus everyting absolutely MUST be contained within the factory control panel or it is a "no-go" due to space restrictions.

As for how much I am "out" for that setup? £440.70 GBP ($551.93 USD) with import duties and carriage (combined they were £170.91 GBP or $214.05 USD). Not exactly pocket change.

Oh, bloody hell!:idea:

Having heard about Dan's kits and been sad that it wouldn't be financially doable, even if he'd ship to the UK, it has only just now occurred to me, that I have some family members in Canada (my son-in-law's brother, Jack who is a really good lad), and a mate from school who lives on the outskirts of Chicago.

One or both of those two might do me a favour. Although the mate from school might take the 'Render unto Caeser what is Caeser's' line, being proper born-again Evangelical Christian.

That said, he has been living in the States for 30 odd years, so that cultural loathing of all governments may well have rubbed off on him by now!:grin:

Jack will definitely be handy for Accusize though and hopefully US vendors.

I assume that the tax burden for an individual in Canada buying from the States isn't too onerous, yeah?

Now @SouthernChap don't be doing that, you will be offering to import for people next....... LOL

Oh dear, worm can opened.
Yeah, I realised how it could be read.

That said, the fact that Rob only comes over maybe once every other year and Jack only twice a year should put people off! :grin:

I'm not sure Jack or Rob would be happy with the idea of them having to travel with a half-size shipping container. :grin:

Speaking of imports. After taking another look at the slide I have and found it wanting, I've ordered the same vertical slide as you (different eBay name, same company). Unfortunately they didn't have an offering without the pallet so I'll have two pallets. Eh, no bad thing.

Back