• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Guest,  We want to wish You and Your Family a Healthy, Happy Thanksgiving! Click the "X" at the top right corner to remove this notice)
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

76mm tank gun

Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

fernballan

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Hi
I have a old russian tank
With a 76mm gun it is deactivated but it is possible to load
I live in Sweden where weapons laws are strict, you only can buy black powder
My question is how much do you dare to load? and what should I pack the gun powder in

Attachments

Last edited:

silverhawk

Hi
I have a old russian tank
With a 76mm gun it is deactivated but it is possible to load
When I live in Sweden where weapons laws are strict, you only have to buy black powder
My question is how much do you dare to load? and what should I pack the gun powder in
I have no idea, but I am definitely interested in this project.

Superburban

To help, someone would need to know what your intentions are? just make noise, or send a round down range? Also, what was done to deactivate the gun?

Oh yea, and pics, we all love to examine pictures.

fernballan

To help, someone would need to know what your intentions are? just make noise, or send a round down range? Also, what was done to deactivate the gun?

Oh yea, and pics, we all love to examine pictures.
It's amphibian but I'm not going to invade the US HiHi
I thought it would be fun to make little noise
I have deaktverings certificate somewhere but it's in the middle of the night here so I'm taking som fotos off it tomorrow together with the cannon

woodchucker

It's amazing how much noise a little gun powder can make. Those small starter cannons for yacht racing are loud . A friend bought one to play with. So a large tank won't need a lot to make it loud.
I would think a cardboard tube about 2 - 3 inches long would be a lot of bang. But the question is how to ignite it w/o a firing pin?you could do it electrically. Maybe just a nichrome wire in the powder and 2 insulated wires coming out the breach. and a 12volt battery.

benmychree

John York
I expect that you would need at least the butt end of a cartridge to seal the breech; it would not be pleasant inside the vehicle with the blowback that would result from an unsealed breech. Powder used in these guns was and is smokeless and graded as to burn time and resultant pressures created, I think black powder works the same, the finer it is, the faster the burn time; cannon powder would be quite coarse. An old timer told me "if you don't know what you are doing, don't f--- with it". Pretty good advice!
I have a good friend who is into the cannon thing, has about 50 breech loading cannons, all active; he has a class 10 firearms permit, that allows you to possess up to, but not including nuclear weapons.

fernballan

I expect that you would need at least the butt end of a cartridge to seal the breech; it would not be pleasant inside the vehicle with the blowback that would result from an unsealed breech. Powder used in these guns was and is smokeless and graded as to burn time and resultant pressures created, I think black powder works the same, the finer it is, the faster the burn time; cannon powder would be quite coarse. An old timer told me "if you don't know what you are doing, don't f--- with it". Pretty good advice!
I have a good friend who is into the cannon thing, has about 50 breech loading cannons, all active; he has a class 10 firearms permit, that allows you to possess up to, but not including nuclear weapons.
I have to load it from the front. There is a plug welded on the back end

fernballan

Sorry i don know what font and back on a gun is called in English

fernballan

It's amazing how much noise a little gun powder can make. Those small starter cannons for yacht racing are loud . A friend bought one to play with. So a large tank won't need a lot to make it loud.
I would think a cardboard tube about 2 - 3 inches long would be a lot of bang. But the question is how to ignite it w/o a firing pin?you could do it electrically. Maybe just a nichrome wire in the powder and 2 insulated wires coming out the breach. and a 12volt battery.
nichrome wire in the powder? sorry don't know what its is but I'm thinking electrically is the way to do it

benmychree

John York
The front would be called the muzzle, the other end is the breech. I think I'd want to know how securely the plug is welded into the chamber at the breech end.

benmychree

John York
Nichrome wire, an alloy of nickel and chromium is used in electric heating elements; it is very resistant to oxidation at high temperatures.

gonzo

While in the navy on a heavy cruiser I made the following observations:
The 3 inch would seem to penetrate you to the bone with it's loud crack.
The 5 inch was just as loud but milder somehow.
The 8 inch could hardly be heard while below decks.
Not what the initiated would expect.

;

fernballan

The front would be called the muzzle, the other end is the breech. I think I'd want to know how securely the plug is welded into the chamber at the breech end.
Thanks
I bought the tank in England and it was very far for a power outlet 500m.long cable
So the welds are not the best

fernballan

Nichrome wire, an alloy of nickel and chromium is used in electric heating elements; it is very resistant to oxidation at high temperatures.
Can you bay it eBay Is it legal to export

CluelessNewB

Active Resistor
Nichrome wire is available on Ebay. It is typically used for heaters. It should be no problem to import or export.

dulltool17

Active User
I would simply drill a small hole in the breech and insert cable fuse, if this is legal. This fuse generally burns at a rate of 10mm per second and is extremely consistent. 30g of FFG black powder wrapped in ordinary copy paper, will suffice as a powder charge. This charge will make propel a tennis ball (67 mm dia) 300 meters with the barrel at a 45 degree elevation.

This is with 1 meter long barrel. I suspect you can do better, as your barrel is ~2m long. Of course, you can increase the amount of powder (even double) for more dramatic effect.

Black powder is an explosive, rather than a modern propellant. As such, it is inherently dangerous, as it may leave hot embers in the barrel, which can ignite the powder charge while reloading.
Basically, you have a muzzle-loading cannon...an improved 1/2-scale Napoleon 12-pounder, if you will. Your loading regime should mirror the process used for these cannon.

Do not forget that black powder is corrosive, so you will need to clean your barrel periodically. Hot water, drain, swab dry, then light oil.

Have a blast!

fernballan

I would simply drill a small hole in the breech and insert cable fuse, if this is legal. This fuse generally burns at a rate of 10mm per second and is extremely consistent. 30g of FFG black powder wrapped in ordinary copy paper, will suffice as a powder charge. This charge will make propel a tennis ball (67 mm dia) 300 meters with the barrel at a 45 degree elevation.

This is with 1 meter long barrel. I suspect you can do better, as your barrel is ~2m long. Of course, you can increase the amount of powder (even double) for more dramatic effect.

Black powder is an explosive, rather than a modern propellant. As such, it is inherently dangerous, as it may leave hot embers in the barrel, which can ignite the powder charge while reloading.
Basically, you have a muzzle-loading cannon...an improved 1/2-scale Napoleon 12-pounder, if you will. Your loading regime should mirror the process used for these cannon.

Do not forget that black powder is corrosive, so you will need to clean your barrel periodically. Hot water, drain, swab dry, then light oil.

Have a blast!
Thanks for the info

pdentrem

Active User
Then I would not trust that weld. I hope that the breech was properly locked prior to the weld needing done.

In a brass field gun, a 9 pounder, we used only 4 oz of 2F black powder wrapped in multiple layers of aluminum foil. A drinking straw as a quill, with a long section of tape that had 3F black powder on the sticky surface, inserted into the straw. Even the quill/straw would make a pretty loud crack out in the open! The main charge would not really shift the gun, but over time the gun did have to be repositioned from time to time. Yes this charge will hurt/kill you if you do not follow the proper technique. After every firing we have to swab the barrel to remove the possibility of hot embers still remaining from previous charges and black powder can be set off from the force of the ramrod hitting the charge as the charge is seated in the breech end of the barrel.

I could go on but please consult an expert in muzzle loading guns i.e. Artillery, preferably someone with knowledge of the Napoleonic time period. Most manuals of arms covering guns were written just prior to this time and are the best ones, even today.
Pierre

fernballan

Then I would not trust that weld. I hope that the breech was properly locked prior to the weld needing done.

In a brass field gun, a 9 pounder, we used only 4 oz of 2F black powder wrapped in multiple layers of aluminum foil. A drinking straw as a quill, with a long section of tape that had 3F black powder on the sticky surface, inserted into the straw. Even the quill/straw would make a pretty loud crack out in the open! The main charge would not really shift the gun, but over time the gun did have to be repositioned from time to time. Yes this charge will hurt/kill you if you do not follow the proper technique. After every firing we have to swab the barrel to remove the possibility of hot embers still remaining from previous charges and black powder can be set off from the force of the ramrod hitting the charge as the charge is seated in the breech end of the barrel.

I could go on but please consult an expert in muzzle loading guns i.e. Artillery, preferably someone with knowledge of the Napoleonic time period. Most manuals of arms covering guns were written just prior to this time and are the best ones, even today.
Pierre
Thank you Pierre
No i have to remove the old plug and turn a new plug and weld it god

RJSakowski

You don't need nichrome wire. Break the glass in an incandescent automotive bulb and solder your lead wires to the contacts on the base. When the powder ignites it will all be destroyed anyway. Bury the filament in the powder and use a 12 volt battery to set off the charge.

fernballan

You don't need nichrome wire. Break the glass in an incandescent automotive bulb and solder your lead wires to the contacts on the base. When the powder ignites it will all be destroyed anyway. Bury the filament in the powder and use a 12 volt battery to set off the charge.
Ok the redneck way hehe

retrojoe

Iron
Registered Member
If it were my tank (In America we all have unlicensed fully operation tanks but only some states allow us to carry them concealed; mine is concealed as a '78 Civc). I would create a supplemental chamber for it to ensure that it was safe. It would also be a lot more efficient terms of powder-to-BANG! ratio. Get a cheap muzzle loader barrel and create a way to support it in the barrel of the tank; maybe so the muzzle of the supplemental barrel is 20-40 cm past the muzzle of the tank gun. Give it a secure stop that rest on the tank muzzle so firing doesn't send it back out of reach (to the breech; trying to avoid rhymes here). Then rig up whatever firing mechanism you want (if you have model rocketry there then get some igniters, they'll fire with a 9V battery) and run your line as needed.

This way it's 1) Very safe because you know the barrel is fine and the explodey part is OUTSIDE the tank interior. 2) It's a lot cheaper because 50 grains of BP in the .50-.75 caliber barrel will making a satisfying pop. A little BP way back in the tank gun may end up as more of a FOOP! sound, due to the bore volume to gas volume ratio, unless you want to load it up with a good 1/2 pound charge. The cost of the barrel is a little higher at first but you'll save all of that in cost of powder and/or trips to the hospital.

killswitch505

Ummmm I'd be super worried about how the breach plug was welded

crazypj

He's not throwing a 5lb~10lb load downrange, just a bit of confetti. Pretty much doubt 2oz~4oz BP would be able to move breech plug even if lever wasn't fully closed before welding. BTW, don't underestimate the weld, even at lower volts/amps wit crazy long leads, smaller diameter rod will still penetrate a decent amount plus, probably only done to prevent rotation

Silverbullet

You could load it like a cannon barrel , take a paper cup line it with aluminum foil , fill it with black powder . Twist the excess aluminum foil around the top of the cup lifting it out of the cup once wrapped there's your charge . You'll need an 1/8" hole drilled about an inch past the breach plug ,, welded end ,,,. Plus you'll need a ramrod to push the charge to the bottom of the barrel breach plug. After seating the charge tamp some waddling or tennis ball go into the tank and here you need a pic to pierce the charge and push the fuse in . Oh take the ramrod out of the barrel , light your fuse and then get out to watch the fun. Then you can load and go again. 2f powder should work.

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
Director
That looks dangerous, no breach block at all and a very poor weld job. Happy I'm many 1000's of KM away. :cautious:

crazypj

Picture IS worth a thousand words. Didn't realise breech block was completely missing, thought plug was welded in then block welded. Wouldn't matter if weld was '****ty' when done that way

Silverbullet

Why not try removing the plug. Then manufacture your own chamber to fit the barrel. To make it for black powder it would be nice to use receiver from a bolt action black powder rifle or even a shotgun . You can tell how porous the welding is by the rust ring . I wouldn't use the barrel without some better lock up. Any explosion in that now may blow that plug right out towards the shooter in the tank. Do you have the breech???

5 7