7/8" end mill holder for mini lathe?

TTD

Registered
Registered
Hi folks,

My newbie question for the day: I'm needing to cut a 7/8" radius in some 1" x 1.5" x 6" long aluminum flat bar using my 7x12 mini lathe w/milling attachment (ya I know - far from an ideal set up, but it's all I have to work with until I can afford a milling machine). Problem is I can't find an MT3 end mill holder for my 7/8" ball-nose end mill (7/8" shank).

Would it be possible to just order one of these http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2393&category=10 and machine it to fit my end mill?:dunno:. I would think you can, but thought I better ask first.

My ideal set up would require a lotto win so we do what we gotta do bro ahahaha

That should work just fine, and should be easy to do, too.

Thank you sir, I figured it would, but I'm slowly learning to ask questions first BEFORE forging ahead and (usually) messing things up...Oh, and me likes easy too!...lol

My ideal set up would require a lotto win so we do what we gotta do bro ahahaha

Hahaha...I hear ya, man! One thing I'm quickly figuring out using a mini lathe (maybe all lathes are the same?) is that one must be quite inventive and not afraid to think "outside of the box".

I'm sooooo glad I joined this forum....the tips, widgets, and just general info has been most helpful for sure!!

Another quick question - once arbor is all machined, I'm assuming the "soft" end will need to be hardened & tempered or will that process mess up the MT3 end that is already hardened?

Another quick question - once arbor is all machined, I'm assuming the "soft" end will need to be hardened & tempered or will that process mess up the MT3 end that is already hardened?

I wouldn't try to harden it. It would distort.

In school we have 8in chucked machines up to about 20in or so. So pretty dang big machines down to about 12x36 13x36. My little 9x20 will make you think alot harder about making something. Not all the time. But some things you have to find work arounds. A tail stock extension would solve alot of my issues. I have the grandiose dream of building a new tail stock with 5in of travel, that would solve alot of problems.

Or you could just make one of these then stick it in a 3 or 4 jaw chuck. The added mass of the chuck will probably dampen vibration that may occur due to the small size of your machine.

DSC_0507.JPG DSC_0510.JPG DSC_0512.JPG

Thank you Sir!

Funny you mentioned that....I was thinking of getting some 1.125" - 1.250" hex bar with my next metal order and doing exactly as you have shown. I didn't want to say anything until I tried it in case it was a dumb idea and got laughed outta here!...LOL. I figured the flats on the hex bar would provide less chance of "slipping" in the chuck (if that's even an issue).

Thanks again for the pics, I feel more confident about trying it now knowing someone else has and apparently works fine! :thumbzup:

Back