7/16" - 12 Acme Nuts

About a year ago I went to a local junkyard, looked through the trunks of a number of cars, and came up with three scissor jacks. One had a screw of about .495" diameter (probably ½"), one was .486", and one was .435" (probably 7/16"). So if worst comes to worst, you might be able to find one of that size and extract a RH nut out of it.

The jacks have lots of uses in the shop, especially during assembly and disassembly of "stuff." Here's one I modified by adding plates to the top and bottom, plus a handy knob.
kHPIM6433.jpg
Note that I had to add a ¼" spacer under one end of the base. The jack was probably designed that way, to bias it inward at the top, so if your car slipped off, it would fall away from the user. The padding on top is a double thickness of Harbor Freight floor panels.

kHPIM6434.jpg
I cross drilled a random ½" socket so I could apply some leverage with a wrench if needed. The cross pin is a piece of ⅜" handy rod, with a sawed screwdriver slot one one. The two nuts are a decent fit to the holes in the jack's ears and loosely hold everything together.

Back