618 New To Me

westsailpat

Registered
Registered
This was given to me by a friend that was letting me work in his hot rod shop , I was making a part on his vintage Logan 10 x something , and I kept looking at this little baby sitting on the side .And he said "you want that thing ?" I didn't know what to say , but I do remember saying yes . It was all set up and sitting on a cart w/ wheels , but I didn't have room for the cart so we took it apart and he kept the cart . My work space is very small so I have to be creative . Anyhow it was sold under the Craftsman banner # is 101.07301 .
DSCF2343_zpsrzvoxfjn.jpg

DSCF2343_zpsrzvoxfjn.jpg

DSCF2343_zpsrzvoxfjn.jpg

DSCF2343_zpsrzvoxfjn.jpg

DSCF2343_zpsrzvoxfjn.jpg

DSCF2343_zpsrzvoxfjn.jpg

sweet! welcome to the club :) JimDawson on here gave me one he found, which I stripped and repainted, then gave to a cousin after I found a nice 618 for a good price. I like mine a lot, it's a surprisingly capable lathe for its size.

Looks like you found the perfect spot. Mike

Hi guys , and thanks for the kind words . Yes that would be a nice spot but it's basically my only spot . I would really love to get a pair of the original cast iron legs , then I could set it up next to the bench it's sitting on now .

Thanks for the link brino , but for some reason I get a log in error when I click on it . I did however get a manual off the bay , it's basically just nomenclature and it doesn't show the counter shaft that I have . I have this one . DSCF2347_zpswgcrgzxw.jpgDSCF2348_zpsuojgwuaq.jpg

DSCF2347_zpswgcrgzxw.jpg

DSCF2347_zpswgcrgzxw.jpg

DSCF2348_zpsuojgwuaq.jpg

DSCF2348_zpsuojgwuaq.jpg

DSCF2347_zpswgcrgzxw.jpg

DSCF2348_zpsuojgwuaq.jpg

DSCF2347_zpswgcrgzxw.jpg

DSCF2348_zpsuojgwuaq.jpg

DSCF2347_zpswgcrgzxw.jpg

DSCF2348_zpsuojgwuaq.jpg

I think this is a older model ? And seems to be missing the lever shaft . If any of you have this one , could you show me a pic ? Also it wasn't really set up right as there is only one pulley on the motor and four on the counter shaft . My manual shows two on the motor and two on the counter shaft . Thanks .DSCF2349_zpskcehuepb.jpg

DSCF2349_zpskcehuepb.jpg

DSCF2349_zpskcehuepb.jpg

DSCF2349_zpskcehuepb.jpg

DSCF2349_zpskcehuepb.jpg

DSCF2349_zpskcehuepb.jpg

Last edited:
that's a non-standard countershaft from what I can tell, but that really doesn't matter. Not quite sure where the eccentric is, but there should be a shaft with a couple of eccentric spots on it that are used to tension the countershaft to spindle belt (the motor to countershaft belt looks like it is tensioned by motor weight). That shaft has a lever on the end and a couple of screws in the top pivoting part that ride on the eccentrics. With the lever one way, the screws rest on the narrow part of the eccentric, so the belt is loose. Move the lever the other way and the screws rise up onto the wider part of the eccentric, tensioning the belt. If it's not there it won't be that hard to make, you could do it with an angle grinder if you had to, to get it up and running.

Back