618 belts

machinistnoob

Registered
Registered
Hello everyone. I hope your New Year is starting off well. I'm getting ready for assembly of my lathe. Can anyone call out the proper and original belt size for both belts on the 618? I have the atlas part numbers but I can't seem to get results by cross reference. I've found a lot of info from people using L3 belts of various length but I'm sure that's not correct. Just looking for a modern equivalent to the original. And with all due respect, I'm not interested in link belts. Thanks in advance.

M. Noob

The length of the belts will depend upon the positioning of the countershaft and motor. I have an Atlas/Craftsman 6 x 18 with an OEM bench so the countershaft would be in the stock OEM position and I currently have a Gates 3VX355 belt6, 35.5" outside circumference. I changed my motor and motor side pulleys years ago so I can't nelp with that one.

The length of the belts will depend upon the positioning of the countershaft and motor. I have an Atlas/Craftsman 6 x 18 with an OEM bench so the countershaft would be in the stock OEM position and I currently have a Gates 3VX355 belt6, 35.5" outside circumference. I changed my motor and motor side pulleys years ago so I can't nelp with that one.
It will be set up to the atlas specs for the countershaft placement. So your info is a great start. Thank you!

The 618 I unfortunately don't have the motor and spindle belt lengths for. And as they still stock them, I have not asked for that info from Clausing. You can order the two belts from Clausing but shipping won't be cheap these days. So your cheapest solution is to set the machine up and measure the required length. Whichever way you go, there were several belt lengths used. Because the 618 originally came with one of three different countershaft assembles plus it depends upon whether the lathe was bench mounted or floor-stand mounted.

Ok, I'm posting the answer to my own question. I ordered belts from Clausing directly. They are as follows.
Spindle-3L350
Motor to countershaft-3L210 (bench mount)
...this info would make a good sticky?

Thanks again for the input fellas.
M. Noob

Edit to last post. I believe the belts are flipped from what I posted. Either way, the belts are correct.
...you'll figure it out

M. Noob,

Do you mean that the factory says that the spindle belt is a 3L210 and the motor belt is a 3l350? Which countershaft do you have or which countershaft did you tell Clausing that you had? And if you can, please ID the drawing that you used for the dimensions/location of the lathe and the countershaft. I ask because the Craftsman 101.07301 came with a different Countershaft assembly than what was mostly used with the 618. But it sometimes shows up with the 618. And for that matter, the first countershaft assembly sold with the 618 was yet a third type that was I think mounted to the rear of the bed similar to the one used with the 3/8" bed Craftsman 12". only smaller. The countershaft casting or bracket was different on all three types.

The 3L350 belt would match up with the belt on my Craftsman 6x18. I have a 355 for the belt from the countershaft to the spindle.

M. Noob,

Do you mean that the factory says that the spindle belt is a 3L210 and the motor belt is a 3l350? Which countershaft do you have or which countershaft did you tell Clausing that you had? And if you can, please ID the drawing that you used for the dimensions/location of the lathe and the countershaft. I ask because the Craftsman 101.07301 came with a different Countershaft assembly than what was mostly used with the 618. But it sometimes shows up with the 618. And for that matter, the first countershaft assembly sold with the 618 was yet a third type that was I think mounted to the rear of the bed similar to the one used with the 3/8" bed Craftsman 12". only smaller. The countershaft casting or bracket was different on all
M. Noob,

Do you mean that the factory says that the spindle belt is a 3L210 and the motor belt is a 3l350? Which countershaft do you have or which countershaft did you tell Clausing that you had? And if you can, please ID the drawing that you used for the dimensions/location of the lathe and the countershaft. I ask because the Craftsman 101.07301 came with a different Countershaft assembly than what was mostly used with the 618. But it sometimes shows up with the 618. And for that matter, the first countershaft assembly sold with the 618 was yet a third type that was I think mounted to the rear of the bed similar to the one used with the 3/8" bed Craftsman 12". only smaller. The countershaft casting or bracket was different on all three types.
It's not clear. The invoice from Clausing shows part numbers from the owners manual. M6-127A and L9-125. The belts that arrived are 3L210 and 3L350.

Back