Ryan383

Registered
Registered
I recently picked this pair of machines up locally from craigslist, they were rough but I think I got a good deal.
Grizzly G4000 lathe and What appears to be a JET JMD-18.
View media item 96948View media item 96947View media item 96946View media item 96945View media item 96944View media item 96943After some cleaning up, and a little wiring, and fixing the switch on the JET, They both ran.
View media item 96942View media item 96941The mill needed very little adjusting, and after some wire brushing and stoning, works great. table is trammed in within .0005" in a 8" circle
The lathe was in much more disrepair. I attempted to test it out after just cleaning the rust up, and I have never seen a lathe chatter so badly. I stoned all the high spots and rust off the ways, and dismantled, cleaned and lubed all the sliding surfaces, and tightened the gib keys up a tad tighter than would be normal, and the chatter was better but still not great by any means. The only tooling I had on hand was a single piece of 1/8" HSS, so I was thinking this was the culprit of the chatter. I got some 3/8" HSS bits and still had the chatter if I tried to take a medium sized cut and surface finish was bad on any but the lightest cuts.
I took the chuck off and tightened all the mounting bolts. Again an improvement but not great. Then I took the back underside slide off the apron and stoned the mating surface to tighten up the sliding surface tolerance. mounting a dial indicator in various ways, I now had all the sliding parts down to .000" of play. HMM. I mounted the dial indicator to the spindle housing and indicated off the chuck, and got some very inconsistent readings. sometimes .001" movement, sometimes .004"+ hmm ball bearings must be shot I thought. SO after researching for tapered bearing upgrades, and coming up empty I decided to try ordering new ball bearings. And behold, the original bearings are tapered roller! I removed them, packed them with bearing grease, and reassembled and tightened them up and now she works beautifully!

I love a happy story like this! *salute* Congrats sir.

Thanks Mikebr5. Here are the first 2 tools I made, the 1st is a chuck key for the lathe made from a 1/2" bolt, and the second a little adaptor to fit in my 4 sided tool post to hold a HSS parting tool. I heat treated the 2nd part as wellView media item 96949View media item 96950
The 2nd part I used a home-made end mill to machine haha. I made it out of a piston wrist pin, they are about the hardest material I have run into in every day mechanic'ing

Hi Ryan,

First, Welcome to the site!

Second I think you did well on those "new" tools. Congratulations.
Well done on the clean up and adjustments.

-brino

Back