6"-Long Ball-End Mill: Useful?

Chips O'Toole

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I ordered a 1/2"-diameter carbide ball-end mill just so I would have this size around the shop. Unfortunately, I went by the photo, not the text. I thought it was around 3" long, but it's actually a 6" end mill.

I was thinking I would send it back, but before I do...what do you use a 6" ball-end mill for? I would think it would be too flexible to give a good finish in steel. Am I wrong? I once ordered a 6"-long 5/8" HSS end mill for a special purpose I no longer recall. Someone told me they were used in plastics.

If it could be made to work well in aluminum and steel, I suppose the additional length could come in handy once in a while.

If it could be made to work well in aluminum and steel, I suppose the additional length could come in handy once in a while.
What you said. We use a 7/16 long ball end mill to elongate the push-rod holes in small block Chevy heads.

Wood and plastics I would say. Tried mine once on aluminum and even taking light cuts it was deflecting a tad too much.
1/2" deep pocket roughed out with a straight EM. Wanted to round out the pocket.

Probably having to pay for shipping back and exchange can you not just whack 2-3” of the shank. Then you have some hss to make another cutter??

You can cut carbide with a diamong cut off wheel mounted in an angle grinder if you already have one. Some people just score it really well & wack it with a hammer to break it. I've done it on 1/8" shanks, not sure how that would go with a 1/2" shank though.

Me personally, I wouldn't try it, that end mill would be useless for me & I'd return it. If you paid with Paypal & have enroled in their Return Shipping program Paypal will cover the return shipping cost. You only get 12 a year which is more than enough for me but it's a great program that I have used a number of times with out rejection.

I don't really want to work that hard to redeem a $23 shopping mistake. I'll either send it back or leave it alone. I found a couple of good deals on 2-flute and 4-flute mills, so the only decision is whether I want to keep a strange 6" mill.

How much good cutting it off will do depends on how much is flute and how much is shank. Cutting 2" off the shank of a 3" length of cut end mill probably won't do much good, plus you could just put the tool up further in the holder without the cutting off and achieve the same thing.

Back