5C indexer dissasembly

personwithhat

Registered
Registered
Hello there, see attached pictures.

I just want to check and make sure it's all clean/lubed inside.
Spindle turns freely,
Seemed in NOS condition what with just some light storage rust and really near-solid grease.

I can't seem to get the spindle out with a deadblow mallet and don't want to increase force in case I missed some screw somewhere.
Not familiar with this type of indexing plate, maybe I something else I should be doing?

No brand markings but might be a Finn or Tree tools indexer.

Attachments

• IMG_8168.jpg
    IMG_8168.jpg
    883.9 KB · Views: 32
  • InkedIMG_8169.jpg
    InkedIMG_8169.jpg
    511.1 KB · Views: 33
I see the note on the spindle saying " Set to zero before removing spindle." So I would assume that the spindle is removeable. Unfortunately thats all i got as far as help. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will chime in. Oh, and welcome aboard!

I've taken apart a Hardinge indexer just the other day for a clean and it took a decent amount of force to yank it out. It was in much worse condition though and I don't think this is a hardinge, maybe a hardinge indexing plate but the rest of the indexer looks like a USA clone

Nevermind got it out - I found some 'HV-xx' part numbers on like bushings and stuff so I think this is a really old NOS hardinge
One of the holes would be for a pin + spring and the threaded one for the spindle tension lock key (which this one is missing, meh)

Quite nice :)

Could be a Hardinge . Just looked at one down the basement and looks the same . I haven't had it apart in years but maybe it's time to do so . One nice thing to do is grind or mill the base parallel to the spindle and the front base perpendicular . Makes it very easy to throw in a vise on the mill or set true on a surface grinder .

Back