5C Collets

The Model A Guy

Registered
Registered
I am starting to build a set of 5C collets. Prefer quality pieces, Hardinge, Buck, etc.
EDIT:
Thinking this thru to save shipping i need to find a basic set of collets. The primary sizes i am interested in are 1/8, 3/16, 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 7/16, 1/2, 5/8, 3/4, 7/8, 1in.

Last edited:
Hardinge are nice, but pretty pricey if purchased new. Most new ones run in the $50.00 to $70.00+ range depending on size and configuration. They are also available in .001" increments. Having said that I picked up a nearly full set of Hardinge collets by 1/64" for $7.00 each a few years ago. If you decide to go with used be sure to inspect each and every collet. It's not uncommon to see the inner bores scored where someone has tried to use them on undersize stock, or the face scarred where a tool has run into them. The holding range of my Hardinge collets is +.007" to -.008". The typical runout is .0002". Also keep in mind the larger sizes (.985 and over) do not have internal threads.

For the missing collets in the set I purchased some "high precision" collets from Shars. Unlike the Hardinge collets they have a holding range of .000" to -.015". They also have a bit more runout at .0005". But for the price of less than $7.00 each they are more than adequate. The only downside I've seen to the Shars collets is that the size is printed on them as opposed to stamped or etched in. After considerable use the sizes are harder to read than the stamped in numbers on the Hardinge ones.

If you decide to go with the less expensive brands be sure to check the tolerance dimensions. Shars offers at least 3 different quality levels from .0007" runout to .0005" runout. The lower quality ones ccurrently run about $6.00 a unit, while the highest quality ones are a little less than $9.00 each.

If you don't mind piecing the set together I have a few duplicates I bought with a set. If Interested I will pull them out and give you brand and size.

I have an 1/8" Hardinge and a 5/8" Phase 2 marked China to sell, $4 each + flat rate shipping.

Attachments

• 2 5c collets.JPG
    2 5c collets.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
Thanks for the info guys,
EDIT:
Thinking this thru to save shipping I need to find a basic set with most of or all of the collets. The primary sizes i am interested in are 1/8, 3/16, 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 7/16, 1/2, 5/8, 3/4, 7/8, 1in.

Back