5C collet stop for square and hex block

PT Doc

Active User
Registered
I am needing to make 12 short tubes. OD ~.5". Since a have both square and hex 5c collet blocks, seems that a stop for these would be just the ticket. I have a mill but no lathe.
There are a few options available and I'd like your opinions on what is worth getting. Thanks in advance.

What exactly are you looking for ?

I'm looking for a collet stop for the hex and square 5c collet blocks that will allow me set the length of the part and mill the piece to final dimension.

I am needing to make 12 short tubes.

Define "short" and what is the wall thickness of the tube? You will need a stop small enough that the collet doesn't close on it yet large enough it won't go into the tube. If it's thin wall tube that may be a tall order in a ready made stop.

Define "short" and what is the wall thickness of the tube? You will need a stop small enough that the collet doesn't close on it yet large enough it won't go into the tube. If it's thin wall tube that may be a tall order in a ready made stop.

Od .5"
Id .375"

Length ~ .375

Thanks

Are your square and hex collets threaded for a stop? They make threaded stops for 5-C collets. Think I bought mine from www.cdcotools.com for well under $20. It threads into the back of the collet. For adjusting, you turn the rod in/out to set a depth and tighten a jam nut on the back. When I've used mine, I set the depth to "whatever" and set in a part of known depth. Edge find the end of that part and you'll be dialed in to the stop.

I don't think mine will get to within 3/8" of the tip of the collet, so would need a spacer or something to fill the gap.

Another method could be setting a depth mic and use that for a stop on the back side of the collet. Slide the work into the collet until it hits the mic and tighten the block nut. Same idea as a typical work stop on a mill.

Bruce

Generic 5-C collet stop. Threads into the back of the collet, stop screws in/out to set the depth which is locked in with a jam nut on the far LH end.
1572294479728.png

My stop has a slot on the end for adjusting in/out
1572294504770.png

Couple of generic 5-C collets
1572294534207.png

Mine are all threaded on the back for the work stop
1572294554314.png

Work stop screwed into a 3/4" square collet. Adjusting rod can be adjusted through the hole.
1572294584709.png

Work stop installed to a collet which in turn is in a square collet block. I wrote the width of my collet block on the block for referencing my mill's DRO.
1572294618202.png

Also could use a depth mic as a depth stop. Anvil would go into the back side of the collet and base would be held against the vise jaws.
1572294647947.png

Last edited:
Od .5"
Id .375"

Length ~ .375
Edge has a nice set https://www.edgetechnologyproducts.com/5c-collet-stop/ but they jump from 3/8 to 3/4 so you would need a spacer a little less than 1/2" dia. to go on top of the 3/8" stop.

Bruce's idea of the depth mike would be pretty easy and accurate. If you don't have a depth mike a caliper would do.

An alternative would be to chuck it up in your mill and hold a lathe cut off tool in your vise and part them off.

Much depends on the precision you need.

I have plenty of collet stops . You need one , shoot me a pm . I have regular and extended stops from Hardinge Bros.

Thank you for the replies. That Edge Technology set seems pretty versatile but it’s missing the exact diameter that I need. Maybe collar on the end of one of them would work.

Back