5c Collet Sets - Budget & Sizes

thanks everyone
I think I will go with the 32nd set from CME
unless someone has issues with the quality?
I checked the website, and I couldn't find a run-out tolerance of any type, so I would pass on them personally.

Without some kind of stated tolerance, you have no way to justify a refunb/replacement if you get a lemon or two with a lot of runout.

I checked the website, and I couldn't find a run-out tolerance of any type, so I would pass on them personally.

Without some kind of stated tolerance, you have no way to justify a refunb/replacement if you get a lemon or two with a lot of runout.
For what it's worth, CME states a .0006" TIR for their individual 5C collets.

I have a 1/16" set and need to fill in as well. It would seem to me that someone would see the value in offering an odd 1/32" set as I'm sure that there are many like myself that bought the 1`/16" set, not realizing the lack of ability of the 5C collet to draw down on an undersized diameters. I will probably fill in the blanks with individual collets from CME at $5 per.

The reason that I would want a set capable of working any diameter work within its range is that I sometimes need to hold previously machined work. Although a 4 jaw chuck can be use to eliminate runout, it is easier the pop it in a suitable collet. Additionally, the 5C collet chuck allows me to work in closer quarters than I can with the 4 jaw. As an example, it would be difficult for me to turn a ball with the 4 jaw but I can swing in quite close with the collet chuck.

I did an investigation of the ability to hold undersized work and although, the collet could grip work 1/32", work was grabbed at three points, one at the center of each section. This allowed the work to cant in the collet rather than running true. It also had a minimal gripping surface so the possibility of slipping was greater. To that end, a full 1/64" set would be a good choice.

Even 64ths 5C collets do not grip work mid way between sizes effectively. ER collets are better for that, they will grip all sizes withing the set range. They do need to be tightened quite tight to hold the work well, and even then probably do not hold as tight as a spring collet holding work of the nominal size of the collet.

Back